Texas High’s J’Kardi Witcher the ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Offensive Player of the Week
Even though Texas High's status as a playoff team was already established, there was still something to play for in last Friday night's regular-season finale.
The Tigers needed a win over Mount Pleasant and some help to grab the No 1 seed from District 15-5A for the Division I playoffs. And while that distinction ultimately went to Longview, Texas High certainly held up its end of the bargain.
And Texas High senior running back J'Kardi Witcher was instrumental in the Tigers' 35-3 victory over Mount Pleasant, rushing for 250 yards and three touchdowns on only 11 carries.
For his efforts, Witcher is the ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Offensive Player of the Week. He follows last week's winner, Crockett's Case Robinson.
Witcher's first touchdown run of the night -- a 45-yarder in the second quarter -- helped Texas High take a 14-3 halftime lead. His next two scoring runs -- from 1 and 75 yards in the third and fourth quarter -- pushed the Tigers' lead to 28-3.
The Texas High back finished the regular season with 1,484 rushing yards and 16 touchdowns on 179 attempts, an average of 8.3 yards per carry.
Witcher and his Tigers teammates began the Class 5A Division I playoffs Saturday against John Tyler. Kickoff for the bi-district contest is set for 2 p.m. from Longview's Lobo Stadium.
ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Offensive Players of the Week
- Nov. 5-7: J'Kardi Witcher, RB, Texas High
- Oct. 29-31: Case Robinson, QB, Crockett
- Oct. 22-24: Jarod Blissett, QB, Carthage
- Oct. 15-17: Jeremiah Robertson, RB, Huntington
- Oct. 8-10: Nick Ballard, RB, West Rusk
- Oct. 1-3: Chance Amie, QB, Tyler Lee
- Sept. 24-26: Judah Bell, WR, Tyler Bishop Gorman
- Sept. 17-19: Cam Haller, RB, Marshall
- Sept. 10-12: Ke'Mon Freeman, QB, Liberty-Eylau
- Sept. 3-5: Kordell Rodgers, QB, Lufkin
- Aug. 27-29: Keenen Johnson, QB, Alto