Texas Offers Gilmer’s Kris Boyd
One of East Texas' top football prospects in the 2015 class got second offer Sunday, and it was a big one.
Gilmer athlete Kris Boyd received an offer from Texas at Sunday's camp in Austin, according to 247Sports.com. The Longhorns join TCU as the first two teams to offer the 6-foot, 175-pounder.
Boyd had a huge year as a sophomore playing running back in 2012, when Gilmer went 14-2 and reached the Class 3A Division II state championship game. Boyd ran for 1,276 yards and 19 touchdowns on 161 carries for an average of 7.9 yards per carry. He also caught 20 passes for 226 yards and two touchdowns.
Despite his success as a running back, Boyd is widely considered a defensive back at the next level because of his top end speed and fluidity.
But for now, Gilmer fans get to enjoy Boyd's exploits for two more seasons. The Buckeyes are expected to potentially be ranked in the preseason top five in 3A after last year's state title appearance. Boyd joins 2014 standouts such as quarterback Tanner Barr and Texas A&M-bound linebacker Josh Walker to give veteran head coach Jeff Traylor plenty of firepower entering the 2013 season.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 175 -- offers from TCU, Texas (2)
- Key'Vantanie "KeKe" Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 -- committed to Texas; additional offers from Oklahoma, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 -- offers from Baylor, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (3)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 -- offers from Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech (3)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 -- offers from Baylor, Mississippi State (2)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-2, 310 -- offers from Alabama, Oklahoma, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (7)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 -- offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, (7)
- Johnny Shaw, S, Center, 6-1, 185 -- committed to Texas; additional offer from TCU (2)