Texas Offers Longview Running Back JaMycal Hasty at Saturday’s Texas Stampede Recruiting Event
Two days, two offers for Longview’s JaMycal Hasty.
A day after receiving an offer from Houston following Friday’s satellite camp at Tyler Junior College, the Lobos’ junior tailback received an offer from Texas while visiting Austin for the Longhorns’ Texas Stampede recruiting event. John King informed ETSN.fm of the offer midday Saturday.
The Longhorns are the sixth team to offer the junior tailback, joining Baylor, Houston, TCU, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech.
The 5-foot-9, 181-pound Hasty ran for 338 yards and five touchdowns in limited action during his sophomore season, which saw Longview finish 9-4 with a Class 5A Division II Region II semifinal appearance. He ran 16 times for 102 yards in a second-round blowout of Dallas Jesuit when starting tailback and Lamar signee Tory White left the game late in the second quarter with an injury.
Hasty will be a key part of what could be a potent Lobo offense this fall. Classmate and starting quarterback Dezmond Chumley is back after starting the majority of Longview’s games last season, while the Lobos have perhaps the best receiving corps in veteran coach King’s 10-year tenure. One of those receivers — the 6-foot-4 Dorian Leonard — has already committed to Texas.
Hasty caught the attention of fans and scouts alike when he ran a laser-timed 4.39-second 40-yard dash at the May 19 ETSN.fm Football Recruiting Combine at APEC training facility in Tyler. His strong all-around performance led to top running back honors and the overall Offensive MVP award.
Hasty is the seventh member of East Texas’ 2015 class to receive a Texas offer. The Longhorns already have commitments from Lufkin athlete KeKe Coutee and Center safety Johnny Shaw.
In the 2014 class, Jasper center Terrell Cuney joins Leonard as Texas commitments from East Texas. The Longhorns have offered five players in the region’s 2014 class.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 175 — offers from Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (4)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offer from North Texas (1)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Oklahoma, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — offers from Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (6)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — offers from Baylor, Houston, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (6)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — offers from Baylor, Mississippi State (2)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Clemson, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Oklahoma, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (13)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, (7)
- Johnny Shaw, S, Center, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas; additional offer from TCU (2)