Texas State Offers Liberty-Eylau’s Andre Wiley
Andre Wiley Jr. picked up his first in-state offer from a Division I FBS program when the Texas State Bobcats extended a scholarship opportunity his way on Wednesday.
Wiley (5-10, 170), a 2016 prospect who plays both linebacker and safety for the Leopards, announced the offer via Twitter on Thursday afternoon.
In addition to his Texas State offer, Wiley has invitations from Arkansas State, Army, Louisiana Tech, and Navy. He also has a handful of FCS offers.
Texas State, which is located in San Marcos and competes in the Sun Belt Conference, has been incredibly active in East Texas this spring.
The Bobcats have eight offers out to East Texans in the 2016 class, belonging to Wiley, Mineola's Austin and Riley Anderson (Texas A&M commits), Nacogdoches' Alex Gregory, Lufkin's Bronson Massie, Jasper's Cody Mitchell, Marshall's Micahh Smith, and Van's Aphonso Thomas (Nebraska commit).
Texas State is coached by Dennis Franchione, whose previous stops as a head coach include New Mexico, TCU, Alabama, and Texas A&M. The Bobcats were 7-5 overall and 5-3 in league play in 2014.
Wiley will be one of several impact players returning this season for Liberty-Eylau, which enjoyed a surprising run to the Class 4A Division I state quarterfinals, where it fell to eventual state runner-up Argyle, 45-42.
The Leopards will bring back its starting quarterback Ke'Mon Freeman (multiple FBS offers), receiver Thurman Morbley, defensive end Lagaryonn Carson (multiple FBS) offers, and linebacker DeMarcus Pegue in addition to Wiley.
The Leopards open the season Aug. 28 against defending Class 4A Division II state champion Gilmer.
Wiley has plenty of time to make a college choice. He will become eligible to sign a National Letter of Intent on Feb. 3, 2016.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Gabe Foster, RB/DB, Newton, 6-3, 180 — offers from Purdue, ULM (2)
- Ke’Mon Freeman, QB/ATH, Liberty-Eylau, 5-11, 188 – offers from Arkansas State, North Texas, SMU (3)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Alex Gregory, WR, Nacogdoches, 5-11, 175 —offers from Texas State, ULM (2)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offers from Baylor, Texas Tech (2)
- La’Darius Hamilton, LB, Corrigan-Camden, 6-1, 220 — offer from ULL (1)
- Adrian Harris, OL, John Tyler, 6-2, 290 — offer from ULM (1)
- Jerrod Johnson, OL, Lufkin, 6-2, 290 — offer from ULM (1)
- Keenen Johnson, ATH, Alto, 6-1, 190 – offers from SMU, ULL (2)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, California, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (38)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Colorado State, Houston, Navy (5)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, Lufkin 6-3, 202 – offers from California, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State (4)
- Denzel Mims, WR, Daingerfield, 6-4, 180 – offers from Arkansas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa (3)
- Cody Mitchell, TE, Jasper, 6-5, 225 — offers from Illinois, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, Texas State, ULL (5)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-6, 207 — offers from Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Mississippi State, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM (10)
- Micahh Smith, DB, Marshall, 5-11, 185 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 5-10, 180 — committed to Nebraska; additional offers from Colorado State, Kansas, Nevada, Texas State (5)
- Jeremy West, OL/DL, Chapel Hill, 6-2, 297 — offer from ULL (1)
- Andre Wiley Jr., OLB/S, Liberty-Eylau, 5-10, 170 – offers from Arkansas State, Army, Louisiana Tech, Navy, Texas State (5)