Texas State Offers Lufkin’s Bronson Massie
Lufkin 2016 defensive end/outside linebacker Bronson Massie received some good news upon his Texas State Junior Day visit on Saturday, picking up his second Division I FBS offer from the Bobcats.
Massie (6-3, 202), who tweeted of the offer via his Twitter account Saturday afternoon, received his first offer last Monday from Louisiana Tech.
It’s been a long road for a proactive Massie. He attended the 2014 ETSN.fm Football Recruiting Combine and multiple school-specific college camps last summer and surged into the new year with more private camps geared toward advancing to collegiate ranks.
Massie served on Lufkin’s defensive line last season and helped guide the team to a 6-5 record with an appearance in the Class 5A Division I bi-district round. He finished 2014 with 88 tackles (18 for loss) with 11 sacks and six forced fumbles, earning third-team honors on the ETSN.fm East Texas Football Super Team.
Texas State has also offered Mineola 2016 offensive linemen Austin and Riley Anderson.
The program, which competes in the Sun Belt Conference, is led by head coach Dennis Franchione, who has served as the head coach at other programs such as New Mexico, TCU, Alabama, and Texas A&M. The Bobcats finished 7-5 overall and 5-3 in league play last season.
Massie stands out among the area’s defensive front players with a nice mix of size, speed and general athleticism. He’s quick and has a series of moves after the snap to confuse and peel off offensive linemen. The prospect ran a laser-timed 4.86 40-yard dash time in last year’s ETSN.fm Football Combine and made multiple highlight-reel plays in pursuit of the ball carrier from both the defensive end and outside linebacker spots during the season.
In addition to roles in the defensive front, Massie was one of the team’s bullets on kickoffs. He guarded against the middle running lane.
Massie, like all 2016 college football prospects, will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him on Feb. 3, 2016.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – offers from Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, North Texas, Northwestern, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (15)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – offers from Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, North Texas, Northwestern, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa (14)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offer from Texas Tech (1)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (36)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Houston, Navy (4)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, 6-3, 202 – offers from Louisiana Tech, Texas State (2)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-4, 185 — offer from North Texas, SMU (2)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 6-0, 190 -- offer from Kansas (1)