Texas State Offers Nacogdoches’ Josh Thompson
Nacogdoches junior defensive back Josh Thompson picked up his sixth Division I FBS offer on Monday night.
Thompson (6-0, 180) tweeted that Texas State was the latest school to extend an invitation to the Dragons' standout cornerback.
In addition to the Bobcats, Thompson also holds FBS offers from Louisiana Tech, Ohio, SMU, Tulane, and UTSA.
Thompson is the seventh East Texan in the 2017 class to pick up an offer from Texas State, joining Hooks WR/DB Montrell Estell, Center WR Octavius Evans, John Tyler CB Javontavius Mosley, Lufkin WR Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin QB/ATH Kordell Rodgers, and John Tyler QB/ATH Bryson Smith.
Texas State participates in the Sun Belt Conference. The Bobcats hired Everett Withers as their next head coach during the offseason, replacing Dennis Franchione, who led Texas State from 2011-15.
In 2015, Texas State finished 3-9 overall and 2-6 in conference play.
Thompson recorded nine pass breakups, intercepted a pass and recorded 33 tackles through Nacogdoches’ 10-game season last fall. He also caught 10 passes for 152 yards as a receiver.
Thompson is the fourth Nacogdoches defensive back in a three-year span to have an opportunity to play college football.
Jaylon Lane started the trend as the local Class of 2015’s scholarship leader before an off-the-field incident led him to junior college. He is expected to be on UTSA’s roster this season.
Brandon Jones and Corey Lane signed with Texas and Navarro College, respectively, earlier this year. Both will graduate high school in May and immediately report to their new programs.
Thompson, like all high school football players currently in their junior year, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him in February.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Navy, North Texas, SMU, ULL, UTSA (9)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Kansas, Illinois, North Texas, SMU, Syracuse, Tulsa (7)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (6)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from Army, Colorado, SMU, Tulane, ULL (5)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offer from Arkansas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM (5)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — offers from Houston, North Texas, SMU, Texas State, ULL, ULM, UTSA (7)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 5-11, 160 — offers from Bowling Green, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL, ULM, UTSA (10)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (11)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 180 — offered by Louisiana Tech, Ohio, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, UTSA (6)