Texas + Texas A&M Next in Line to Offer Newton’s Roney Elam
The Lone Star State's two biggest college football programs are now in the running for Newton's Roney Elam, who's seen his recruitment soar to incredible heights over the past week.
Both Texas and Texas A&M offered the 6-2, 175-pound athlete on Thursday, Elam announced via Twitter. That gives the 2015 recruit seven offers, and all within the past eight days -- six coming since Monday.
Elam now has four SEC offers and three from the Big 12. LSU was the first to offer last Wednesday. Mississippi State and Baylor came calling Monday and Tuesday of this week, while Texas Tech and Alabama made their offers Wednesday.
At the beginning of last week, Elam had just two FCS offers -- Lamar and McNeese State.
Elam is the seventh East Texas recruit in the 2015 class to receive an offer from Texas, and the fifth with an A&M offer. Other area players that hold offers from both in-state rivals are Whitehouse safety Justin Dunning, Longview RB JaMycal Hasty, Gladewater DT Daylon Mack and Sulphur Springs safety Larry Pryor.
Texas A&M currently has three East Texas commits in 2015 -- Dunning, Mack and Pryor.
Elam played on both sides of the ball last fall, but figures to play defense at the next level either at cornerback or safety. Elam finished 2013 with 939 passing yards and 11 touchdowns, 437 yards and five TDs rushing, while intercepting five passes and forcing one fumble on defense for Newton, which went 12-1 and advanced to the Class 2A Division I regional semifinals.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (7)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — offers from Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (7)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-10, 175 — offer from Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 175 — offers from Louisiana Tech, South Alabama (2)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offer from Houston (1)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)