Three Days + Four Offers: Newton’s Roney Elam Hears From Alabama, Texas Tech
[Updated, 4:45 p.m., Feb. 26]
It’s been quite the week for Newton 2015 athlete Roney Elam, and it’s only half over. For the third time in as many days, Elam picked up a major Division I FBS offer.
And on Wednesday, Elam got two big ones. A few hours after Texas Tech came calling, the 6-2, 175-pound standout received an offer from Alabama, according to Elam’s personal Twitter account.
Elam, who received his first offer from LSU last week, now has five offers after Mississippi State and Baylor made the Newton standout a target on Monday and Tuesday of this week.
Texas Tech has now offered seven East Texans in the 2015 class, the most of any school. Other recruits in the region with offers from the Red Raiders are Gilmer ATH Kris Boyd, Lufkin ATH Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, Whitehouse safety Justin Dunning, Longview RB JaMycal Hasty, Gladewater DT Daylon Mack and Sulphur Springs safety Larry Pryor.
Only Elam and Mack have been offered by Alabama, which has gone 72-9 with three BCS national championships since 2008.
Elam could become the third Newton player in three years to sign with an FBS school after D.J. Dean signed with Arkansas in 2013 and Kevin Shorter inked with Texas earlier this month.
This past fall, Elam played both offense and defense in leading Newton to a 12-1 record and a berth in the Class 2A Division I regional semifinals. At quarterback, he passed for 939 yards and 11 touchdowns and ran for 437 yards and five scores. On defense, Elam made 23 tackles and had five interceptions and one forced fumble.
Elam, who measured at 6-3 1/2 and 167 pounds in shoes at last May’s ETSN combine at APEC training facility in Tyler, ran a laser-timed 4.56 40-yard dash at the event that featured 100 of East Texas’ top recruits in the 2014 and 2015 classes.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Texas Tech (5)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — offers from Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (7)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-10, 175 — offer from Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 175 — offers from Louisiana Tech, South Alabama (2)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offer from Houston (1)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)