Top 25 Games of 2014: No. 11, Longview at Lufkin
What better way to begin the season than having longtime East Texas rivals Longview and Lufkin open against one another?
This year's meeting, scheduled for Aug. 29 at Lufkin's Abe Martin Stadium, will be the 74th all-time meeting. And the series, which dates back to 1932, couldn't be more even.
Longview, by virtue of its 55-30 victory last fall, tied the series at 35-35-4. It took some doing for the Lobos, which have won three consecutive and five of seven from Lufkin, to regain command of the series.
From 1999-2006, Lufkin won 10 consecutive matchups against its rivals to the north. Included was the 2002 season in which the Panthers took three from Longview -- twice during the round-robin district season, and once in the playoffs.
Longview will enter this year's matchup as the favorite, coming off back-to-back third-round playoff appearances, while Lufkin tries to rebound from its first losing season since 1995.
Two of East Texas' top overall athletes will be on display in this one as Lobos running back and Baylor commit JaMycal Hasty counters Lufkin receiver/defensive back Key'Vantanie "KeKe" Coutee, who holds multiple FBS offers.
ETSN.fm's Top 25 Games of 2014
- No. 11: Longview at Lufkin
- No. 12: John Tyler at Whitehouse
- No. 13: Kilgore at Texas High
- No. 14: Lufkin at Nacogdoches
- No. 15: Longview at Texas High
- No. 16: Whitehouse vs. Chapel HIll
- No. 17: Kilgore at Nacogdoches
- No. 18: Alto at Tenaha
- No. 19: Longview vs. Monroe Neville
- No. 20: Athens at Van
- No. 21: Nacogdoches at Carthage
- No. 22: Lufkin at John Tyler
- No. 23: Sulphur Springs at Whitehouse
- No. 24: Nacogdoches at John Tyler
- No. 25: Van at Lindale