Top 25 Games of 2014: No. 3, Daingerfield at New Boston
Daingerfield and New Boston have become quite familiar with one another over the past four seasons, meeting seven times since 2010 -- three coming in the playoffs.
The last four regular-season matchups have determined the district championship, while the last two postseason encounters have occurred in the state quarterfinals. The first of what could once again be two meetings this year takes place on the final night of the season, with a District 7-3A Division I title likely hanging in the balance.
Daingerfield vs. New Boston is No. 3 on ETSN.fm's list of the top 25 games of 2014.
Oddly enough, both 2013 games lacked the drama of the previous year -- Daingerfield prevailing 40-16 in district and New Boston rolling 41-14 in the playoffs. Then again, it would've been hard to match the theatrics of 2012.
New Boston, led by running back Damien Haskins (now at Oregon State) and his 393-yard, five-touchdown effort, earned a 38-37 victory in the regular season. Daingerfield, however, got payback in the playoffs when Edwin Mims' 70-yard punt return with less than a minute remaining propelled the Tigers to a 35-28 win.
Daingerfield, the defending district champion, has several holes to fill entering 2014 with only seven total starters returning. But if there's one thing the Tigers have taught us of late, the well of talent never dries. Since 2008, Daingerfield has amassed a record of 76-15 with three state championships.
New Boston, fresh off its first state semifinal appearance, should be considered the district favorite. The Lions have six starters back on each side of the ball, including receiver/defensive back Jeff Gladney, who has committed to TCU.
ETSN.fm's Top 25 Games of 2014
- No. 3: Daingerfield at New Boston
- No. 4: Carthage vs. Gilmer
- No. 5: Newton at Tatum
- No. 6: Tatum at Gladewater
- No. 7: Newton at Corrigan-Camden
- No. 8: John Tyler at Ennis
- No. 9: Pittsburg at Gladewater
- No. 10: Whitehouse at Texas High
- No. 11: Longview at Lufkin
- No. 12: John Tyler at Whitehouse
- No. 13: Kilgore at Texas High
- No. 14: Lufkin at Nacogdoches
- No. 15: Longview at Texas High
- No. 16: Whitehouse vs. Chapel HIll
- No. 17: Kilgore at Nacogdoches
- No. 18: Alto at Tenaha
- No. 19: Longview vs. Monroe Neville
- No. 20: Athens at Van
- No. 21: Nacogdoches at Carthage
- No. 22: Lufkin at John Tyler
- No. 23: Sulphur Springs at Whitehouse
- No. 24: Nacogdoches at John Tyler
- No. 25: Van at Lindale