Top 25 Games of 2014: No. 7, Newton at Corrigan-Camden
When the subject of high school football is brought up in deep East Texas, the conversation doesn't last too long without mentioning either Newton or Corrigan-Camden.
The two small-school perennial powers will clash Oct. 24 in Corrigan, with the potential of the District 11-3A Division II championship being decided. For that reason, this year's matchup ranks No. 7 on ETSN.fm's list of the top 25 games of 2014.
Newton, which went 12-1 with a trip to the regional semifinals a season ago, returns 14 starters -- among them the dynamic duo of quarterback/defensive back Roney Elam and running back Calum Foster.
Elam, a recent Texas A&M commit, is the third consecutive incoming senior at Newton to hold multiple Division I FBS offers, joining 2013 Arkansas signee D.J. Dean and 2014 Texas signee Kevin Shorter. The Eagles playmaker is being recruited to play corner or safety in college, and currently holds offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas Tech in addition to his offer from the Aggies.
Foster will be the man in the backfield for Newton this season after having to split carries with Shorter and the departed Brandon Johnson in 2013.
Corrigan-Camden, which has qualified for the postseason an incredible 17 consecutive years, brings back half its starters from last season's 13-1 team that reached the 2A Division II quarterfinals. Chief among the returnees are running backs Keegan Mitchell and Malyk Johnson, who combined to rush for almost 4,000 yards a season ago.
ETSN.fm's Top 25 Games of 2014
- No. 7: Newton at Corrigan-Camden
- No. 8: John Tyler at Ennis
- No. 9: Pittsburg at Gladewater
- No. 10: Whitehouse at Texas High
- No. 11: Longview at Lufkin
- No. 12: John Tyler at Whitehouse
- No. 13: Kilgore at Texas High
- No. 14: Lufkin at Nacogdoches
- No. 15: Longview at Texas High
- No. 16: Whitehouse vs. Chapel HIll
- No. 17: Kilgore at Nacogdoches
- No. 18: Alto at Tenaha
- No. 19: Longview vs. Monroe Neville
- No. 20: Athens at Van
- No. 21: Nacogdoches at Carthage
- No. 22: Lufkin at John Tyler
- No. 23: Sulphur Springs at Whitehouse
- No. 24: Nacogdoches at John Tyler
- No. 25: Van at Lindale