Troup Junior Quarterback Blake Lynch Commits to Baylor
Baylor’s recruiting momentum in East Texas has carried over to the 2015 class.
Troup junior quarterback Blake Lynch tweeted around 9:45 p.m. Sunday that he committed to the Bears, who he chose over other offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, and TCU.
— Blake Lynch (@TroupKid31) October 21, 2013
Lynch has been recruited as a quarterback, receiver, and athlete. His 6-foot-3, 193-pound frame combined with his speed give him the ability to play any of a number of positions at the next level.
Baylor and Mississippi State were the first two schools to offer Lynch, who has been high on Baylor throughout the recruiting process.
Lynch earned quarterback MVP honors at the ETSN.fm Football Recruiting Combine at APEC training facility in Tyler in May. He measured taller than 6-foot-4 in shoes and ran a 4.51-second laser-timed 40-yard dash. He also led quarterbacks in 185-pound bench repetitions (16) and in the broad jump (9 feet, 11 inches).
Lynch suffered wrist and arm injuries in Friday’s home loss to Tatum that could force him to miss significant playing time. Lynch has started at quarterback all season for the Tigers, who are 5-2 overall and 1-1 in District 9-2A Division I. He’s also played defense at safety and could possibly stay on the field with a cast on that side of the ball.
Lynch is the second East Texan in the 2015 class to commit. Lufkin athlete KeKe Coutee is committed to Texas. Lynch joins three 2014 East Texas prospects — Mount Pleasant receiver K.D. Cannon, Liberty-Eylau athlete Davion Hall, and Nacogdoches defensive end Greg Roberts — who are committed to Baylor.
The Bears’ on-field success is carrying to recruiting. Baylor is 6-0 and leading the nation in offense. The Bears were ranked No. 6 in Sunday’s Associated Press Top 25 and No. 8 in the initial BCS poll.
East Texans Committed to Baylor
- K.D. Cannon, WR, Mount Pleasant, 6-0, 160
- Davion Hall, ATH, Liberty-Eylau, 6-2, 191
- Greg Roberts, DE, Nacogdoches, 6-5, 200
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193
2015 East Texas Football Players with Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 175 — offers from Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (4)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Oklahoma, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — offers from Baylor, Florida State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (9)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — offers from Baylor, Houston, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (6)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Clemson, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (16)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offer from Houston (1)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (8)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)