Tyler Lee’s Chance Amie Commits to Houston
One of the state’s most coveted quarterbacks in the 2018 recruiting class made his college decision on Monday.
Tyler Lee incoming senior Chance Amie announced his commitment to Houston via Twitter.
Happy Birthday to my Pops… Committed pic.twitter.com/ZZi1STxUki
— Chance Amie (@chanceamie2018) June 26, 2017
Amie (6-3, 190) chose the Cougars over “Power 5″ conference offers from Iowa State, North Carolina, Syracuse, and Virginia. The Red Raiders’ signal-caller had 18 FBS offers in total.
Of the 24 local players in East Texas’ ’18 class with FBS offers, 15 have now committed.
Houston, which has a reputation of late in securing the services of East Texas recruits, now has three pledges from the area’s 2018 class. John Tyler DE/OLB Dekalen Goodson committed to Houston in May, while Lufkin WR Malik Jackson chose the Cougars earlier this month.
Since 2013, Houston has signed six players from East Texas, including four from the city of Tyler. Amie would be the third local quarterback signed by the Cougars in that time span, joining Greg Ward Jr. (2013) and Bryson Smith (2017).
Amie completed 97 of 180 passes for 1,556 yards and 10 touchdowns to seven interceptions last year in his first full season as a starter. He carried the ball 183 times for a net of 1,265 yards and scored 17 touchdowns through a 10-game season.
Lee was plagued for a second consecutive season with an underperforming defense.
While Amie turned in decent numbers and rising junior running back Ladarius Wickware had a breakthrough season, Lee lost five games in which the team scored 35 or more points toward a 2-8 overall record.
Two of those losses occurred in spite of the offense scoring more than 50 points. Four losses were decided by one possession.
Lee will be under new direction this fall after head coach Clayton George resigned in May after just one season on the job. The Red Raiders have hired former Gilmer assistant Kurt Traylor as his replacement.
Major Applewhite took control of the Houston program between the 2016 regular season and a Las Vegas Bowl loss after two seasons as the Cougars’ offensive coordinator under Tom Herman.
Applewhite joined Houston after five seasons at Texas and a one-year hiatus from coaching upon Mack Brown’s retirement. He served as the Longhorns co-offensive coordinator his final three seasons in Austin.
Amie will first become eligible to sign with any Division I school that offers him in December.
2018 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tre Allison, John Tyler, OLB, 6-2, 211 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Texas State, Tulane, ULL (7)
- Chance Amie, Tyler Lee, QB, 6-3, 190 — committed to Houston; additional offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Georgia State, Iowa State, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Texas, Rutgers, Southern Miss, Syracuse, Tulane, ULL, Virginia (18)
- Xavier Benson, Pleasant Grove, LB, 6-0, 200 — offers from Arkansas State, Army, Memphis, North Texas, Rice, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane, ULL, ULM, Wyoming (13)
- Drake Centers, Tatum, OL, 6-3, 296 — committed to Texas State; additional offers from SMU, Southern Miss, ULM (4)
- Kylar Cooks, Liberty-Eylau, OL, 6-5, 252 — committed to Texas State; additional offers from Arkansas State, North Texas, ULL (4)
- Jeremiah Davis, Lufkin, CB, 5-10, 194 — committed to ULL (1)
- Kris Dike, Van, OL, 6-6, 283 — committed to TCU; additional offers from Colorado, Houston, Memphis, North Texas, Oklahoma State, SMU, Tulane (8)
- Dekalen Goodson, John Tyler, DE/OLB, 6-2, 209 — committed to Houston; additional offers from Mississippi State, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL (6)
- Trae Hall, Henderson, QB/ATH, 6-3, 185 — offers from Florida Atlantic, New Mexico State, Tulane, ULL, ULM (5)
- Conner Henson, Harmony, OL, 6-3, 243 — offers from ULL, ULM (2)
- Chasen Hines, Marshall, OL, 6-3, 353 — committed to LSU; additional offers from Arizona, Baylor, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, North Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Rice, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech (16)
- Tevailance Hunt, Texas High, WR, 6-2, 180 — committed to Kansas; additional offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Houston, Iowa State, Louisiana Tech, Marshall, Memphis, Nevada, North Texas, Oklahoma State, Southern Miss, Tulsa (15)
- Dewaylon Ingram, Carthage, WR, 6-0, 160 — offer from Arkansas State (1)
- Keaontay Ingram, Carthage, RB, 6-0, 198 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Florida State, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, LSU, Memphis, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Oregon State, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, USC, UTSA (27)
- Malik Jackson, Lufkin, WR, 5-8, 163 — committed to Houston; additional offers from Arkansas State, Texas State (3)
- Kameron King, Marshall, OL, 6-2, 275 — offers from Memphis, North Texas, Tulane, ULM, Southern Miss (5)
- Trevor Lawrence, Whitehouse, DE, 6-4, 245 — offers from Texas State, ULM (2)
- DeMarvion Overshown, Arp, S, 6-4, 196 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Colorado, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, LSU, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, South Carolina, Southern Miss, Stanford, TCU, Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, UTSA (30)
- Leonard Parks, Texas High, DE, 6-5, 230 — offer from ULM (1)
- Michael Sanchez, Gladewater, TE/OL, 6-5, 327 — offer from Houston (1)
- Jonathan Shepherd, Kilgore, WR, 6-3, 196 — committed to Oklahoma State; additional offers from Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Houston, Kansas State, ULM, Missouri, New Mexico, Memphis, North Texas, Oregon State, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech (15)
- Marje Smith, Marshall, DE, 6-6, 210 — committed to Baylor (1)
- DaRyan Williams, Nacogdoches, 5-10,199 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Tyree Wilson, West Rusk, LB, 6-5, 225 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Mississippi State, New Mexico, Oklahoma State, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL, ULM, Washington State, Wyoming (16)