ULM Offers Chapel Hill’s Wesley Thompson
The first Division I FBS offer arrived Thursday for one of East Texas’ most athletic senior football players.
Chapel Hill’s Wesley Thompson announced via Twitter that Louisiana-Monroe offered him, giving the Bulldog standout his first FBS offer.
Just got offered by ULM.
— Wesley Thompson (@Wes_Thompson6) November 8, 2013
Thompson, most likely classified by most schools as an athlete thanks to his versatility and athleticism, is a two-way starter at linebacker and running back for the second consecutive year for Chapel Hill, which enters the Class 3A Division I Region II playoffs with a 6-4 record after third-place finish in District 16-3A, the “District of Doom.”
The 6-foot-1, 185-pounder enters the postseason with 707 rushing yards and 10 touchdowns while averaging 8.4 yards per carry. He’s second on the team in rushing yards and touchdowns behind senior quarterback Andrew Black’s totals of 777 and 13.
Thompson’s fourth-quarter fumble recovery sealed the Bulldogs’ 20-19 state championship victory against Alvarado in 2011 when he was a sophomore.
Thompson put on a stellar performance at the ETSN.fm Football Recruiting Combine at APEC training facility in May. He won the linebackers MVP award for the event after clocking a laser-timed 4.49-second 40-yard dash, which included a 1.91-second final 20 yards, one of the top final-20 times at the combine. His 37.1-inch vertical jump was sixth-best of the event’s 100 participants, while his 10-2 broad jump was fifth-best. Thompson’s 4.19-second pro agility time tied for 14th of 100.
Thompson received his ULM offer on the same night that Longview senior safety Travin Howard received a UTSA offer, Howard’s first FBS offer. That gives East Texas 35 players in the 2014 class with at least one FBS offer.
Thompson is 1 of 10 East Texans in the 2014 class with a ULM offer. Palestine offensive lineman Brian Thlang is committed to the Warhawks.
East Texans With ULM Offers
- Jacob Bragg, C, Nacogdoches, 6-4, 311 — committed to Kansas
- Terian “Tee” Goree, WR, Carthage, 6-2, 170 — nine offers
- Ben Luckett, RB, Palestine, 6-0, 195 — one offer
- Jarrell Owens, LB/DE, Palestine, 6-3, 230 — committed to TCU
- O’Keeron Rutherford, WR, Carthage, 6-5, 181 — two offers
- Anthony Sanders, ATH, Athens, 5-11, 185 — one offer
- Kevin Shorter, RB/ATH, Newton, 6-0, 190 — committed to Texas
- Brian Thlang, OL, Palestine, 6-2, 290 — committed to ULM
- Wesley Thompson, ATH, Chapel Hill, 6-1, 185 — one offer
- Jeffery Wilson, RB, Elkhart, 6-0, 195 — four offers
2014 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Terry Ausborne, S, John Tyler, 5-10, 175 — offer from SMU (1)
- Blake Bogenschutz, QB, Carthage, 6-1, 175 — committed to UTSA (1)
- Jacob Bragg, OL, Nacogdoches, 6-4, 310 — committed to Kansas; additional offers from Louisiana Tech, Oregon State, ULM (4)
- K.D. Cannon, WR, Mount Pleasant, 6-0, 160 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Arizona, Clemson, Florida State, Houston, Miami, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Purdue, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Utah, Vanderbilt, Virginia, West Virginia (21)
- Caleb Chumley, QB/ATH, Pine Tree, 6-5, 220 — offers from Houston, Kansas, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Missouri, New Mexico State, North Texas, Oregon State, Texas State (9)
- Joseph Clark, RB/S, Chapel Hill, 5-9, 175 — committed to Texas Tech; additional offers from Air Force, Navy, Texas State (4)
- Kade Clayton, ATH, Tyler Grace, 6-0, 180 — offers from SMU, Texas State (2)
- Terrell Cuney, C, Jasper, 6-3, 260 — committed to Texas; additional offers from TCU, Texas Tech (3)
- Devondrick Dixon, ATH, Gilmer, 5-9, 180 — committed to Texas State (1)
- Adrian Goodacre, OL, Carthage, 6-4, 310 — committed to ULL; additional offer from Houston (2)
- Terian “Tee” Goree, WR, Carthage, 6-2, 170 — offers from Colorado, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, North Texas, San Diego State, ULL, ULM, UTSA (9)
- Davion Hall, ATH, Liberty-Eylau, 6-2, 191 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, SMU, Stanford, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- Zaycoven Henderson, DT, Longview, 6-1, 293 — offers from Baylor, Florida, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, South Carolina, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, Washington, Washington State (18)
- Travin Howard, S, Longview, 6-0, 178 — offer from UTSA (1)
- Willy Ivery, ATH, Sulphur Springs, 5-8, 180 — offers from Colorado State, New Mexico, North Texas, Texas State, Toledo (5)
- Jamal Jeffery, WR, Lufkin, 5-9, 165 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Chris Jefferson, ATH, Athens, 6-2, 200 — committed to SMU (1)
- Jawuan Johnson, DB, New Boston, 6-0, 195 – committed to Northern Illinois (1)
- Dorian Leonard, WR, Longview, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas; offers from Florida State, Oklahoma, Oregon State, San Diego State, Texas Tech (6)
- Reggie Long, LB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 218 — offers from Army, New Mexico State (2)
- Ben Luckett, RB, Palestine, 6-0, 195 — offer from ULM (1)
- Patrick Mahomes, QB, Whitehouse, 6-3, 203 — committed to Texas Tech; additional offers from Houston, North Texas, Rice (4)
- Stephan Maxey, DB, Longview, 5-11, 185 — offer from UTSA (1)
- Keith Minor, DL, Chapel Hill, 6-3, 237 — offer from Cincinnati (1)
- Jarrell Owens, LB/DE, Palestine, 6-3, 230 — committed to TCU; additional offers from Texas State, Texas Tech, ULM (4)
- Greg Roberts, DE, Nacogdoches, 6-5, 200 — committed to Baylor (1)
- Anthony Rhone, LB, Texas High, 6-0, 210 — committed to SMU (1)
- O’Keeron Rutherford, WR, Carthage, 6-5, 181 — offer from North Texas, ULM (2)
- Anthony Sanders, ATH, Athens, 5-11, 185 – offer from ULM (1)
- Kevin Shorter, RB/S, Newton, 6-0, 190 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Arkansas, Army, Baylor, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Houston, Kansas, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, San Diego State, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, ULM, Utah (22)
- Brian Thlang, OL, Palestine, 6-2, 290 — committed ULM (1)
- Wesley Thompson, ATH, Chapel Hill, 6-1, 185 — offer from ULM (1)
- Josh Walker, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-1, 220 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (4)
- D.J. Williams, DT, Lufkin, 6-4, 293 — offers from Houston, Miami, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma (5)
- Jeffery Wilson, RB, Elkhart, 6-0, 190 — offers from New Mexico State, North Texas, Texas State, ULM (4)