UTSA + Tulane Offer John Tyler’s Bryson Smith
John Tyler junior QB/ATH Bryson Smith is inching closer to double-digit offers after two more schools extended Division I FBS scholarships his way Tuesday night.
Smith (6-0, 170) picked up offers from both Tulane and UTSA, bringing his total number of offers to nine. The announcements were made via the John Tyler football program's official Twitter account.
In addition to his two new opportunities, Smith also holds standing offers from Bowling Green, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, SMU, Texas State, and Louisiana-Lafayette.
Tulane, located in New Orleans, competes in the American Athletic Conference. The Green Wave, which has also extended offers to Hooks WR/DB Montrell Estell and Arp RB Kayce Medlock, are coming off a 3-9 season in 2015.
The Green Wave is coached by Willie Fritz, who was hired this offseason after spending two years at Georgia Southern. Prior to that, Fritz was the head coach at Sam Houston State, where he led the Bearkats to back-to-back FCS national championship games in 2011 and 2012.
UTSA, a member of Conference USA, is also under new leadership. The Roadrunners hired Frank Wilson to replace the school's first-ever coach Larry Coker. Wilson has spent time as an assistant at LSU, Southern Miss, and Tennessee during his 20-year career.
Last season, the Roadrunners finished 3-9 overall and 3-5 in conference play. UTSA has offers to two other East Texans in the 2017 class -- Tyler Bishop Gorman WR Judah Bell and John Tyler CB Javontavius Mosley.
Smith threw for 2,415 yards and 20 touchdowns to six interceptions and led the team in rushing with 1,428 yards and 28 scores last fall. Those numbers helped the team rally to a 7-0 regular season finish after an 0-3 start.
John Tyler won the District 16-5A championship and reached the second round of the Class 5A Division I state playoffs before falling to Mansfield Lake Ridge for an 8-4 overall record. Lake Ridge advanced to the 5A Division I state championship game.
The Lions will move up in classification this season and compete in District 11-6A along with Longview, Tyler Lee, Mesquite, Mesquite Horn, North Mesquite, Rockwall and Rockwall-Heath as its District 11-6A competition. JT also has challenging non-district games lined up against Plano West, Ennis and New Orleans (La.) Warren Easton.
Smith, like all high school football players currently in their junior year, will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him on Feb. 1, 2017.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Houston, Kansas, Navy, SMU, ULL, UTSA (7)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Arkansas, Illinois, Kansas (4)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR, 6-2, 180 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (11)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (6)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from SMU, Tulane, ULL (3)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offer from Arkansas State, Tulsa, ULL, ULM (4)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — offers from Houston, SMU, Texas State, ULL, UTSA (5)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 6-0, 170 — offers from Bowling Green, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL, UTSA (9)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (9)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 180 — offered by SMU (1)