Van Receiver Isaiah Allred Gets Late FBS Offer From Texas State
Isaiah Allred makes 31 local players with college football offers from the FBS ranks just ahead of National Signing Day.
Texas State entered the recruiting picture late Thursday evening and will try to undo the fairly longstanding verbal commitment the senior Van receiver made to FCS competitor Missouri State.
Allred announced the Bobcats' invitation through his personal Twitter account.
Van was one of the region's most competitive teams through the 2016 campaign. It went four rounds deep in Class 4A Division I playoffs and finished the year with a 12-2 record.
Allred (6-3, 205) was one of nine area players to eclipse 1,200 receiving yards and finished his year with 17 scores. He competed for touches against several other capable receivers in Van's primarily four-wide look, including current Henderson State commitment Connor Houston.
While Van lost its Region II championship game to Kennedale, Allred turned in perhaps the best game of his two-year varsity career in a head-to-head battle with consensus five-star linebacker prospect Baron Browning.
Kennedale moved Browning to cornerback for the game in an effort to gain an advantage on the outside. Allred racked up 103 yards on six receptions in the first half and helped Van out to a 21-7 lead.
Van collapsed under heavy pressure from Kennedale's front in the second half. Allred got one last touch for 14 yards en route to a 34-28 defeat.
Texas State previously offered nine East Texas seniors and gained commitments from Lufkin quarterback Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin receiver Dhailon Phillips and Texas High receiver Quan Hampton.
The Bobcats lost Hampton to Kansas on Sunday, which opened a spot for Allred.
Coached by Everett Withers, who will begin his second season in San Marcos this fall, Texas State completed 2016 with a 2-10 record. He has been tasked with guiding the Bobcats to their first bowl game since making the transition to the FBS level in 2011.
Withers' previous head coaching experience came at James Madison and as the interim coach at North Carolina for the full 2011 season.
Urban Meyer made Withers his first defensive coordinator at Ohio State between those two gigs.
James Madison reached the FCS playoffs in both of Withers' seasons and won the national championship this past year with many of the players he recruited. North Carolina managed to reach the 2011 Independence Bowl amid looming NCAA sanctions for infractions under Butch Jones.
Withers made other notable stops as a positional coach, coordinator or both at Tulane, Southern Miss, Louisville, Texas and Minnesota. He gained NFL positional coaching experience around those schools with the New Orleans Saints and Tennessee Titans.
Allred, like all college football prospects currently in their senior year of high school, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him Wednesday.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tristan Allen, Atlanta, LB, 6-3, 206 — committed to Louisiana Tech; additional offer from UTEP (2)
- Isaiah Allred, Van, WR, 6-3, 205 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Navy, New Mexico, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM, UTSA, Wyoming (13)
- Noah Bush, Athens, LB, 6-1, 216 — committed to Air Force; additional offer from Army (2)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Terrell Cooper, Lindale, DE, 6-3, 240 — offers from Arkansas State, Memphis, North Texas, Texas State (4)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Texas, Ole Miss, SMU, Syracuse, UTSA, Texas A&M, TCU, Tulsa (20)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Boise State, Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (8)
- Ted Fuller, Harleton, RB, 5-11, 195 — offers from ULM, Wyoming (2)
- Tre Gatlin, Carthage, DE, 6-6, 210 —offer from Wyoming (1)
- Quan Hampton, Texas High, WR, 5-8, 165 — committed to Kansas; additional offer from Texas State (2)
- Austin Hawley, Gladewater, DB, 6-1, 200 — committed to ULM (1)
- Kollin Hurt, Gilmer, DB, 6-3, 175 — committed to Louisiana Tech; additional offers from ULM, UTSA (3)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — offers from Air Force, Army (2)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-10, 186 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Army, Colorado, Houston, Navy, Tulane, ULL, UTSA (8)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — committed to Oklahoma State; additional offers from Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, New Mexico State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (13)
- Javonta Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — committed to UTSA; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Memphis, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, ULL, ULM (10)
- Cade Pearson, Texas High, QB, 6-3, 193 — committed to North Texas; additional offer from Wyoming (2)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — committed to Texas State; additional offers from Air Force, Army (3)
- Dez Robinson, Atlanta, LB, 6-3, 210 — offers from UTEP, Wyoming (2)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — committed to Texas State; additional offers from Arkansas State, ULM (3)
- Makyle Sanders, Tyler Lee, S, 6-1, 177 — committed to North Texas; additional offers from Air Force, Memphis, Navy (4)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 6-0, 170 — committed to Houston; additional offers from Air Force, Arkansas State, Baylor, Bowling Green, Memphis, New Mexico, North Texas, Purdue, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas, Texas State, Tulane, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (18)
- Cameron Sir Louis, TE, 6-3, 220 -- offer from Air Force (1)
- D’Torian Smith, Tatum, DE/LB, 6-3, 225 — committed to Air Force; additional offers from ULM, UTEP (3)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Alabama; additional offers from Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Oregon, SMU, Texas, Texas Tech, UCLA (14)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 182 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Baylor, Colorado State, Fresno State, Houston, Indiana, Kansas, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, Missouri, North Texas, Ohio, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, SMU, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane, UCLA, ULM, Utah, UTSA, Washington State, Wyoming (29)
- Lakendrick VanZandt, Henderson, RB/S, 6-1, 196 — committed to TCU; additional offers from Arkansas State, Baylor, Houston, Memphis, Oklahoma State, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Tulane, Tulsa (10)
- Traveion Webster, Longview, S, 6-0, 197 — committed to ULM (1)