Van’s Aphonso Thomas Picks Up Offer From Nebraska
The fourth Division I FBS offer is in for Van 2016 running back Aphonso Thomas, and it came from Nebraska, the Vandals' standout tweeted out Thursday afternoon.
Thomas (6-0, 190) became the eighth East Texas prospect in the 2016 class to hold at least four FBS offers. He also has invitations from Colorado State, Kansas, and Texas State.
Nebraska now has two offers out to area 2016 recruits -- Thomas and Nacogdoches safety Brandon Jones, who leads all of East Texas with 38 scholarship offers.
The Cornhuskers will begin their first season under former Oregon State and NFL head coach Mike Riley, who took over for Bo Pelini, who was fired after seven seasons on the job.
Nebraska competes in the Big Ten, and finished the 2014 season with a 9-4 overall record and 5-3 mark in conference play. The Huskers ended the year with a 45-42 loss to USC in the Holiday Bowl on Dec. 27.
Thomas rushed for 934 yards and 12 touchdowns on 106 carries last season and is Van’s top returning offensive skill player. Fellow running back Matt Savis — a Southeastern Oklahoma State signee — and a very good passing game unit have been lost to graduation.
The new Nebraska target will participate in the ETSN.fm + APEC Football Recruiting Combine this Sunday in Tyler. The event, presented by Azalea Orthopedics, has more than 100 confirmed participants from the East Texas area.
Rising junior defensive back Cooper Bledsoe will join Thomas as a representative from Van.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offers from Baylor, Texas Tech (2)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- La’Darius Hamilton, LB, Corrigan-Camden, 6-1, 220 — offer from ULL (1)
- Keenen Johnson, ATH, Alto, 6-1, 190 – offers from SMU, ULL (2)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, California, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (38)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Houston, Navy (4)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, Lufkin 6-3, 202 – offers from California, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State (4)
- Cody Mitchell, TE, Jasper, 6-5, 225 — offers from Missouri, Texas State (2)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-6, 207 — offers from Cincinnati, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Mississippi State, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM (9)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 6-0, 190 — offers from Colorado State, Kansas, Nebraska, Texas State (4)
- Andre Wiley Jr., OLB/S, Liberty-Eylau, 5-10, 170 – committed to Arkansas State; additional offer from Louisiana Tech (2)