Whitehouse’s Justin Dunning Commits to Texas A&M
The Texas A&M Aggies continue to build recruiting in momentum in East Texas.
The region’s latest Aggie pledge came Sunday afternoon from Whitehouse’s Justin Dunning, who is 1 of 3 players in the region’s 2015 class with a Texas A&M offer.
Happy to say I just committed to Texas A&M University! Glad to be part of the Aggie family! BLESSED All Glory to God! Thank you JESUS #gigem
— JU$TIÑ DUÑÑIÑG™ (@JD3ThaTruth) November 10, 2013
The junior safety joins Longview running back JaMycal Hasty and Gladewater defensive tackle Daylon Mack as the East Texas juniors with Aggie offers. Mack committed to Texas A&M on Oct. 21, choosing the Aggies over 15 other offers.
Dunning and Mack make up half of Texas A&M’s East Texas commitments. Lufkin senior receiver Jamal Jeffery and Gilmer senior linebacker Josh Walker are also committed to the Aggies.
— Kevin Sumlin (@CoachSumlin) November 10, 2013
The 6-foot-4, 200-pound Dunning picked Texas A&M over eight other offers: Baylor, Florida State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Vanderbilt.
He already held a Texas Tech offer at the time, but Dunning’s stellar performance at the ETSN.fm Football Recruiting Combine at APEC training facility in Tyler on May 19 certainly didn’t hurt his recruitment. He measured taller than 6-foot-5 in shoes and ran the third-fastest laser-timed 40-yard dash (4.41) of the combine’s 100 participants. He also had one of the top three broad jumps (10-4) and the event’s best vertical jump at 40.4 inches. Just a few days after his combine Defensive Backs MVP performance, Baylor and Texas offered him.
A torn ACL in his left knee cut short Dunning’s junior season during the Wildcats’ 42-34 win against Chapel Hill in Tyler on Sept. 5. He had a breakout sophomore campaign with 61 tackles and a team-leading five interceptions in 2012, when Whitehouse went 10-2 and reached the second round of the Class 4A Division II Region II playoffs
East Texans with Texas A&M Offers
- K.D. Cannon, WR, Mount Pleasant — committed to Baylor
- Davion Hall, ATH, Liberty-Eylau — committed to Baylor
- Jamal Jeffery, WR, Lufkin — committed to Texas A&M
- Kevin Shorter, RB/ATH, Newton — committed to Texas
- Josh Walker, LB, Gilmer — committed to Texas A&M
- Justin Dunning, S/ATH, Whitehouse — committed to Texas A&M
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview (6 offers)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater — committed to Texas A&M
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 175 — offers from Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (4)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Oklahoma, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (9)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee — offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — offers from Baylor, Houston, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (6)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Clemson, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (16)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offer from Houston (1)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (8)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)