John Tyler’s Bryson Smith Offered By New Mexico
The FBS offer list for John Tyler 2017 QB/ATH Bryson Smith has reached five after the Lions playmaker received a scholarship invitation from New Mexico on Tuesday.
The news was first reported by the John Tyler football program's official Twitter account.
Smith (5-11, 160) added New Mexico to a list that also includes Bowling Green, SMU, Texas State, and Louisiana-Lafayette.
His five offers are tied with JT teammate, CB Javontavius Mosley, and Hooks WR/DB Montrell Estell for fourth-most among East Texas' 2017 recruits.
Smith is among the most athletic players in all of East Texas, and that was on full display at the third annual ETSN.fm + APEC Football Recruiting Combine last May in Tyler.
The JT standout took home quarterback MVP honors, and tested extremely well. He ran the third-fastest 40-yard dash among the 115 participants with a laser-timed speed of 4.52 seconds. Smith also had the highest vertical jump (39 inches), and finished in the top 10 in both the broad jump and bench press reps at 185 pounds.
Smith played exclusively at wide receiver for John Tyler in 2014 as a sophomore, and finished with 15 catches for 297 yards and three touchdowns.
Last season, his first at quarterback, Smith put up stellar numbers. He passed for 2,415 yards with 20 touchdowns and six interceptions, and ran for a team-best 1,421 yards and 21 TDs in 12 games.
Smith earned third-team honors on the 2015 ETSN.fm East Texas Football Super Team, and helped lead John Tyler (8-4) to the District 16-5A championship and a berth in the 5A Division I area round.
John Tyler moved up to Class 6A earlier this month during UIL realignment, and will join District 11 along with Longview, Mesquite, Mesquite Horn, North Mesquite, Rockwall, Rockwall-Heath, and Tyler Lee.
The Lions open the 2016 season at home Aug. 27 against Plano West.
Smith is the first 2017 East Texas recruit to receive an offer from New Mexico, which competes in the Mountain West Conference. The Lobos, who are coached by former Texas A&M assistant and Notre Dame head coach Bob Davie, were 7-6 (5-3, MWC) in 2015 and participated in the New Mexico Bowl on Dec. 19.
All 2017 recruits have until Feb. 1, 2017 to make their college decisions official.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Houston, SMU (3)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — committed to SMU; additional offer from Kansas (2)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR, 6-2, 180 — offers from Arizona State, Kansas, SMU, Texas State, Texas Tech (5)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Louisiana Tech, Texas Tech (2)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from SMU, ULL (2)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — offers from Houston, SMU, Texas State, ULL, UTSA (5)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, ATH, 5-11, 160 — offers from Bowling Green, New Mexico, SMU, Texas State, ULL (5)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (6)