Lindale Defensive End Terrell Cooper Picks Up Offer From Arkansas State
The jury is still out on whether Lindale can turn in as strong a defensive performance as it did last season, but this somewhat overhauled unit will at least start the 2016 campaign with considerably more name recognition.
Rising senior defensive end Terrell Cooper received his second overall Division I FBS scholarship opportunity Monday from Arkansas State. He announced the news through his personal Twitter account.
With the Red Wolves' offer, Cooper (6-3, 240) broke a one-scholarship tie with Lindale teammate and linebacker Kale Ridge. Cooper holds an additional invitation from Memphis.
Both recruited players were parts of a defense last year that averaged less than 21 points given up per game en route to a Class 5A Division II bi-district playoff appearance. Their season ended with a 21-17 loss to Marshall, which averaged 38 points per contest in a 13-game season.
Arkansas State has been a big player among a group of 27 local players with at least one FBS scholarship choice. Cooper makes the seventh prospect the Red Wolves want and the third defensive player of the lot.
However, of the seven players, five have verbally committed elsewhere. That leaves Cooper and Lufkin quarterback Kordell Rodgers as the only readily listening players.
The Red Wolves program is just one of 30 nationally with an active bowl game appearance streak of five or more seasons. It has not missed the postseason since 2010 despite enduring four coaching changes through the run.
Hugh Freeze, Gus Malzahn and Bryan Harsin each coached one season in Jonesboro, Ark., earlier in the decade before leaving in favor of other head coaching jobs at Mississippi, Auburn and Boise State.
Blake Anderson has provided some needed stability. He'll begin his third season as the program's leader this fall and owns a 16-10 overall record, including a perfect 8-0 Sun Belt Conference mark last season.
Arkansas State had eight former players on NFL rosters last year.
Cooper, like all high school football prospects preparing for their senior year, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him in February.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tristan Allen, Atlanta, LB, 6-3, 206 — offer from UTEP (1)
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Navy, New Mexico, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM, UTSA, Wyoming (13)
- Noah Bush, Athens, LB, 6-1, 216 — offers from Air Force, Army (2)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Terrell Cooper, Lindale, DE, 6-3, 240 — offers from Arkansas State, Memphis (2)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — committed to TCU; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Texas, Ole Miss, SMU, Syracuse, UTSA, Texas A&M, Tulsa (18)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (7)
- Ted Fuller, Harleton, RB, 5-11, 195 — offers from ULM, Wyoming (2)
- Tre Gatlin, Carthage, DE, 6-6, 210 —offer from Wyoming (1)
- Austin Hawley, Gladewater, DB, 6-1, 200 — offer from ULM (1)
- Kollin Hurt, Gilmer, DB, 6-3, 175 — offers from Louisiana Tech, ULM, UTSA (3)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-10, 186 — offers from Army, Colorado, Navy, SMU, Tulane, ULL, UTSA (7)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — committed to Oklahoma State; additional offers from Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, New Mexico State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (13)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — committed to UTSA; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Memphis, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, ULL, ULM (10)
- Cade Pearson, Texas High, QB, 6-3, 193 — offers from North Texas, Wyoming (2)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offers from Arkansas State, Texas State, ULM (3)
- Makyle Sanders, Tyler Lee, S, 6-1, 177 — offers from Memphis, Navy (2)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 6-0, 170 — committed to Houston; additional offers from Air Force, Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Memphis, New Mexico, North Texas, Purdue, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Tulane, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (16)
- D’Torian Smith, Tatum, LB, 6-3, 225 — offers from Air Force, ULM, UTEP (3)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Oregon, SMU, Texas Tech (13)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 182 — committed to TCU; additional offers from Arkansas State, Colorado State, Fresno State, Houston, Indiana, Kansas, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, Missouri, North Texas, Ohio, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane, ULM, Utah, UTSA, Washington State, Wyoming (23)
- Lakendrick VanZandt, Henderson, S, 6-1, 196 — committed to TCU; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Memphis, Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU, Tulane, Tulsa (8)
- Traveion Webster, Longview, S, 6-0, 197 — offer from ULM (1)