Marshall’s Micahh Smith Picks Up Offers From Arkansas + Abilene Christian
With National Signing Day less than one week away, the recruitment of Marshall 2016 safety Micahh Smith has begun to pick up steam.
Smith (5-11, 185) reported two Division I offers Friday within an hour of one another, announcing scholarship invitations from both Arkansas and Abilene Christian through his Twitter account.
The Marshall senior is taking an official visit to Arkansas this weekend.
Smith now has two FBS offers as the Razorbacks joined Texas State, which offered him several months ago. The Mavs' playmaker is also the target of several FCS schools, including SFA, which offered Smith last week.
Arkansas competes in the West Division of the Southeastern Conference and is coached by Bret Bielema. The Razorbacks are coming off an 8-5 season in 2015, which featured a 5-3 mark in SEC play. Arkansas capped the year with a 45-23 win over Kansas State in the Liberty Bowl on Jan. 2.
The Razorbacks currently have two native East Texans on their roster -- junior defensive back D.J. Dean (Newton) and junior receiver Eric Hawkins (Longview).
Abilene Christian is a member of the Southland Conference. The Wildcats, coached by Ken Collums, finished 2015 with a 3-8 overall record and 3-5 mark in league play.
Three East Texans are currently members of the ACU football program -- sophomore fullback Will Weathers (Bullard Brook Hill), sophomore offensive lineman Hayden Wall (Hallsville), and sophomore defensive lineman Travaughn Moore (John Tyler).
Smith helped lead Marshall to a share of the District 15-5A championship as a senior. He finished with a team-best 120 tackles (three for loss), and had three interceptions, broke up seven passes, forced one fumble and recovered two others.
The Mavs finished the season 11-2 overall, falling to eventual state finalist Frisco Lone Star in the regional semifinal round of the Class 5A Division II playoffs.
Smith, like all 2016 prospects, can officially sign with the school of their choosing on Feb. 3.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 280 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 280 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Demarco Boyd, LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Gabe Foster, ATH, Newton, 6-1, 175 — committed to McNeese State (FCS); additional FBS offers from Arkansas State, Purdue, Texas State, ULL, ULM (5)
- Ke’Mon Freeman, ATH, Liberty-Eylau, 6-0, 205 — committed to SFA (FCS); additional FBS offers from Arkansas State, North Texas, SMU (3)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Texas A&M, 6-0, 155 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Alex Gregory, WR, Nacogdoches, 5-11, 175 — committed to SFA (FCS); additional FBS offers from Texas State, ULM (2)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-10, 165 — committed to SFA (FCS); additional FBS offers from Baylor, Missouri, Texas Tech, ULM (4)
- La’Darius Hamilton, LB, Corrigan-Camden, 6-1, 220 — offers from North Texas, Texas State, ULL (3)
- Adrian Harris, OL, John Tyler, 6-3, 289 — offer from ULM (1)
- Tanner Holmes, LB, Newton, 6-2, 220 — committed to ULL (1)
- Jerrod Johnson, OL, Lufkin, 6-2, 288 — offer from ULM (1)
- Keenen Johnson, ATH, Alto, 6-0, 186 — committed to Tulsa; additional offers from North Texas, SMU, ULL (4)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Boise State, California, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, South Carolina, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Vanderbilt, Washington State (42)
- Braylon Jones, OG/DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 275 — committed to Houston; additional offers from Air Force, Army, Colorado State, Navy, TCU (6)
- Corey Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 5-11, 168 — offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- Bronson Massie, DE, Lufkin, 6-3, 215 — committed to Kansas State; additional offers from Cal, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State, Washington
- Jarrod McLin, Carthage, DE, Carthage, 6-3, 215 — committed to UTSA; additional offer from ULL (2)
- Denzel Mims, Daingerfield, WR, 6-4, 175 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Arkansas State, North Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa (6)
- Cody Mitchell, Jasper, TE, 6-5, 225 — committed to ULL; additional offers from Florida, Illinois, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, Nebraska, North Texas, SMU, Texas State (9)
- Jordan Morales, Tyler Bishop Gorman, DT, 6-3, 275 — offer from UTEP (1)
- Thurman Morbley, Liberty-Eylau, WR, 5-10, 160 — committed to Texas State (1)
- Reshawn Parker, Hooks, LB, 6-2, 210 — offers from Oklahoma State, Texas State (2)
- Kendrick Rogers, Frankston, WR, 6-5, 190 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Mississippi State, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM (11)
- Micahh Smith, Marshall, S, 5-11, 185 — offers from Arkansas, Texas State (2)
- Aphonso Thomas, Van, RB, 5-10, 180 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Colorado State, Kansas, Nebraska, Nevada, Texas State (6)
- Jeremy West, Chapel Hill, OL, 6-3, 297 — committed to Northwestern State (FCS); additional FBS offer from ULL (1)
- Andre Wiley Jr., Liberty-Eylau, S, 5-9, 170 — committed to Navy; additional offers from Arkansas State, Army, Louisiana Tech, Texas State, Wyoming (6)