Memphis Offers Marshall’s Kameron King
The stock continues to rise for Marshall 2018 offensive lineman Kameron King, and on Wednesday, the Mavericks' standout picked up his fourth Division I FBS scholarship offer.
King (6-2, 275) announced via Twitter that Memphis became the latest school to offer its services.
In addition to Memphis, King holds FBS offers from Louisiana-Monroe, North Texas, and Tulane.
The Mavs' lineman also reported a Missouri State offer later in the day. Other FCS opportunities are from Abilene Christian, Sam Houston State, and Stephen F. Austin.
King was one of seven offensive linemen competing at the fifth annual ETSN Combine at APEC in Tyler. He tied for the longest broad jump at his position with a leap of 102 inches and acquitted himself well on the field during one-on-one drills against pass rushers.
Last season, King helped Marshall’s offense to 3,939 total yards in an 11-game campaign. As a sophomore, he was part of an offense that put up 5,401 total yards and went to the third round in the Class 5A Division I state playoffs.
Expectations for Marshall have jumped a bit since the end of 2016. Former SMU running backs coach Claude Mathis left his collegiate job for the position in deep East Texas.
Mathis was a highly-regarded high school coach before taking the job at SMU. He owned a 74-18 record at DeSoto through seven seasons and reached the state semifinal level in 2012 and 2013 at what is now known as the Class 6A Division I level.
Memphis has been busy recruiting East Texas this spring. The Tigers have now offered seven area prospects in the 2018 class.
The Tigers posted their third consecutive season of eight wins or better with an 8-5 record under first-year coach Mike Norvell. Memphis made a Boca Raton Bowl appearance after posting a 5-3 mark in American Athletic Conference competition.
Norvell, 35 years old, joined the program after serving as the offensive coordinator and associate head coach under Todd Graham at Arizona State. Norvell gained earlier coaching experience at Tulsa and Pittsburgh.
King will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him in December.
2018 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tre Allison, John Tyler, OLB, 6-2, 211 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Texas State, Tulane, ULL (7)
- Chance Amie, Tyler Lee, QB, 6-3, 190 — offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Georgia State, Houston, Iowa State, New Mexico, North Texas, Rutgers, Southern Miss, Syracuse, Tulane, ULL, Virginia (17)
- Xavier Benson, Pleasant Grove, LB, 6-0, 200 — offers from Arkansas State, Army, Memphis, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane, ULL, ULM, Wyoming (12)
- Drake Centers, Tatum, OL, 6-3, 296 — offers from SMU, Texas State (2)
- Kylar Cooks, Liberty-Eylau, OL, 6-5, 252 — offers from Arkansas State, North Texas, Texas State, ULL (4)
- Kris Dike, Van, OL, 6-6, 283 — offers from Colorado, Houston, Memphis, North Texas, Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU, Tulane (8)
- Dekalen Goodson, John Tyler, DE/OLB, 6-2, 209 — committed to Houston; additional offers from Mississippi State, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL (6)
- Trae Hall, Henderson, QB/ATH, 6-3, 185 — offers from Florida Atlantic, New Mexico State, Tulane, ULL, ULM (5)
- Conner Henson, Harmony, OL, 6-3, 243 — offers from ULL, ULM (2)
- Chasen Hines, Marshall, OL, 6-3, 353 — committed to LSU; additional offers from Arizona, Baylor, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, North Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Rice, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech (16)
- Tevailance Hunt, Texas High, WR, 6-2, 180 — committed to Kansas; additional offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Florida Atlantic, Houston, Iowa State, Louisiana Tech, Marshall, Memphis, Nevada, North Texas, Oklahoma State, Southern Miss, Tulsa (14)
- Dewaylon Ingram, Carthage, WR, 6-0, 160 — offer from Arkansas State (1)
- Keaontay Ingram, Carthage, RB, 6-0, 198 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Florida State, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, LSU, Memphis, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Oregon State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, USC, UTSA (27)
- Malik Jackson, Lufkin, WR, 5-8, 163 — offer from Arkansas State (1)
- Kameron King, Marshall, OL, 6-2, 275 — offers from Memphis, North Texas, Tulane, ULM (4)
- DeMarvion Overshown, Arp, S, 6-4, 196 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Colorado, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, LSU, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, South Carolina, Southern Miss, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, UTSA (30)
- Jonathan Shepherd, Kilgore, WR, 6-3, 196 — offers from Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Houston, Kansas State, ULM, Missouri, New Mexico, Memphis, North Texas, Oklahoma State, Oregon State, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech (15)
- Tyree Wilson, West Rusk, LB, 6-5, 225 — committed to Washington State; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Oklahoma State, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Tulane, ULL, ULM, Wyoming (12)