Missouri Offer Puts Arp’s DeMarvion Overshown In Tie For East Texas Lead
The ninth college football scholarship opportunity in a five-day span arrived Monday for DeMarvion Overshown.
Missouri did the honor and became the sixth school from the SEC to target the Arp safety and all-around athlete. Overshown, Scout.com's 73rd-ranked prospect in the Class of 2018 nationally, reported the news directly to ETSN.fm.
Overshown (6-4, 196) was a key piece in Arp's run to the Class 3A Division II state semifinals last season. He recorded 173 tackles from his safety spot and caught four passes for 121 yards in a 15-game campaign.
The four-star recruit might be leaned on more offensively as a senior since Arp is forced to turn away from athlete Kayce Medlock, an SMU running back signee who also played linebacker in high school, and a quarterback that started for about a season and a half.
With Missouri in the picture, the SEC broke a tie with the Big 12 Conference in terms of interested schools per league. Five Big 12 universities are currently interested in Overshown, and he holds at least one offer from all of the high-major conferences except the Big Ten.
Missouri's offer also pushed Overshown into a tie with Carthage running back Keaontay Ingram for the most football scholarships among East Texans currently in their junior year of high school. Both players have 17 NCAA Division I FBS invitations and are Stephen F. Austin targets at the FCS level.
Missouri had a difficult first season under new head coach Barry Odom, but it did end the year on a high note with two SEC wins in its final three games for an overall record of 4-8. It finished last in the East Division of the conference and tied for the worst SEC record alongside Mississippi.
Ole Miss and Missouri did not play against each other last season.
Missouri isn't very far removed from SEC success, however. It made appearances in the conference's championship game in 2013 and 2014.
Thirty-two consensus All-Americans have called Missouri home since the program's start in 1890.
Overshown and the rest of the current junior class nationally will become eligible to sign on football signing day in February of 2018.
2018 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tre Allison, John Tyler, OLB, 6-0, 200 — committed to SMU; additional offer from Mississippi State (2)
- Chance Amie, Tyler Lee, QB, 6-3, 190 — offers from Bowling Green, Iowa State (2)
- Xavier Benson, Pleasant Grove, LB, 6-0, 200 — offer from ULL (1)
- Dekalen Goodson, John Tyler, DE/OLB, 6-0, 215 — offer from Mississippi State (1)
- Chasen Hines, Marshall, C, 6-3, 340 — offers from Baylor, Louisiana Tech, LSU, Minnesota, North Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- Keaontay Ingram, Carthage, RB, 6-0, 198 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, UTSA (17)
- DeMarvion Overshown, Arp, ATH, 6-4, 196 —offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Florida State, Kansas, LSU, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, UCLA, UTSA (17)