Tulsa Offers John Tyler Quarterback Bryson Smith
What a run it has been for Bryson Smith.
Tulsa offered the junior John Tyler quarterback a scholarship opportunity Thursday and become the fourth school in about a 30-hour span to do so. John Tyler's football Twitter account, overseen by head coach Ricklan Holmes, first announced the news.
The Golden Hurricane program joined Air Force, Incarnate Word and Southern Mississippi in the recent timeframe plus 12 other FBS candidates that offered earlier in the process.
Smith (6-0, 170) threw for 2,416 yards and 20 touchdowns to six interceptions last year while simultaneously leading the team with 1,421 rushing yards and 21 scores. He helped the team to an 8-4 overall record and a Class 5A Division I area round appearance against the ultimate state runner-up, Mansfield Lake Ridge.
The quarterback started as a receiver his sophomore year on a team that reached the Class 5A Division I state semifinals.
John Tyler will make a move to Class 6A for the upcoming two seasons due to a growing student population. Longview, Mesquite, Mesquite Horn, North Mesquite, Rockwall, Rockwall-Heath and Tyler Lee make up the team’s District 11-6A schedule.
Smith will attend the ETSN + APEC Football Recruiting Combine on Sunday alongside six other John Tyler players.
Tulsa enjoyed a notable turnaround season under first-year head coach Phillip Montgomery, who was Baylor's offensive coordinator from 2006 through 2014.
Off a 2-10 season with former coach Bill Blankenship, Montgomery led the program to a 6-6 regular season record and a berth in the Independence Bowl. The year ended with a postseason loss to Virginia Tech.
Tulsa added Alto athlete Keenen Johnson into its fold in February. Johnson will report to the university upon high school graduation later this month.
Former Texas High running back Javon Thomas and Texas High receiver Jarion Anderson will begin burning eligibility on the Golden Hurricane roster this fall after redshirting for their true freshman seasons.
Smith, like all high school football prospects currently in their junior year, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him on Feb. 1, 2017.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Navy, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM, UTSA, Wyoming (12)
- Noah Bush, Athens, LB, 6-2, 225 — offer from Army (1)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Texas, Ole Miss, SMU, Syracuse, UTSA, TCU, Tulsa (16)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (7)
- Ted Fuller, Harleton, RB, 5-11, 195 — offer from ULM (1)
- Austin Hawley, Gladewater, DB, 6-1, 200 — offer from ULM (1)
- Kollin Hurt, Gilmer, DB, 6-3, 175 — offer from ULM (1)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from Army, Colorado, Navy, SMU, Tulane, ULL (6)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offers from Arkansas State, Colorado State, Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (9)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, ULL, ULM, UTSA (9)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offers from Arkansas State, Texas State, ULM (3)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 6-0, 170 — offers from Air Force, Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, Purdue, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Tulane, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (15)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (12)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 180 — offered by Arkansas State, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, North Texas, Ohio, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULM, Utah, UTSA, Washington State, Wyoming (14)
- Traveion Webster, Longview, S, 6-0, 197 — offered by ULM (1)