ULM Becomes First to Offer Gladewater’s Austin Hawley
The school year may be coming to an end in a matter of weeks, but the recruitment of Gladewater junior defensive back Austin Hawley is just getting started.
Louisiana-Monroe became the first Division I FBS program to offer a scholarship to Hawley, the Bears' standout revealed via Twitter on Tuesday afternoon.
Hawley (6-1, 200) is now one of 19 East Texans in the 2017 recruiting cycle to receive an FBS invitation.
And he is one of seven who've been offered by ULM, which also reached out to Gilmer DB Kollin Hurt, Gilmer WR LaMarcus Morton, John Tyler CB Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler QB/ATH Bryson Smith, Nacogdoches CB Josh Thompson, and Longview DB Traveion Webster.
The Warhawks compete in the Sun Belt Conference, and are coached by Matt Viator, who will be entering his first season as Warhawks head coach after serving in the same capacity at McNeese State the previous 10 years.
ULM struggled through a 2-11 campaign in 2015. It is certainly no stranger to the East Texas area. There are currently eight area products on the Warhawks’ roster.
Hawley, a three-year starter at CB for Gladewater, could easily transition into a safety at the next level given his size and frame.
In 2015, Hawley racked up 69 tackles, forced four fumbles, had an interception, and broke up seven passes in helping Gladewater reach the playoffs for the third consecutive year.
Gladewater will compete in District 7-4A Division II this fall, along with Atlanta, Gilmer, Pittsburg, Pleasant Grove, and Spring Hill.
Hawley, like all current junior prospects, can officially sign with the college of his choosing on Feb. 1, 2017.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Navy, North Texas, SMU, ULL, UTSA (10)
- Noah Bush, Athens, LB, 6-2, 225 — offer from Army (1)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Houston, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, North Texas, Ole Miss, SMU, Syracuse, UTSA, TCU, Tulsa (12)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (6)
- Austin Hawley, Gladewater, DB, 6-1, 200 -- offer from ULM (1)
- Kollin Hurt, Gilmer, DB, 6-3, 175 -- offer from ULM (1)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from Army, Colorado, SMU, Tulane, ULL (5)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offer from Arkansas State, Indiana, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (7)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, North Texas, SMU, Texas State, ULL, ULM, UTSA (8)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 6-0, 170 — offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, Purdue, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL, ULM, UTSA (12)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (11)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 180 — offered by Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, Ohio, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULM, UTSA, Washington State, Wyoming (10)
- Traveion Webster, Longview, S, 6-0, 197 — offered by ULM (1)