Unbeaten Malakoff Meets Rockdale in Top 10 Showdown
CLASS 3A DIVISION I
Region II Semifinal
No. 3 Malakoff Tigers (12-0)
No. 6 Rockdale Tigers (11-1)
1:30 p.m. Friday
Waco ISD Stadium
- Malakoff: Jamie Driskell
- Rockdale: Jeff Miller
- Malakoff: def. Kirbyville, 49-6
- Rockdale: def. Coldspring-Oakhurst, 21-13
- Winner faces Cameron Yoe or Teague, Class 3A Division I quarterfinal
- QB Judd Miller, Jr., 5-11, 200
- WR/DB Q.T. Barker, Sr., 5-11, 165
- WR/DB Tyler Russell, Sr., 6-2, 175
- RB Davion Ford, Sr., 5-11, 190 (242 carries, 1,517 yards, 30 TDs; 12 catches, 287 yards, 2 TDs)
- QB David Franklin, Sr., 5-8, 165 (103 of 191, 1,934 yards, 21 TDs, 9 INTs; 125 carries, 1,070 yards, 13 TDs)
- WR Jaquayln Crawford, Jr., 5-10, 160 (49 catches, 1,057 yards, 13 TDs; 32 carries, 219 yards, 3 TDs)
Just the facts
- Malakoff is 12-0 for the first time in school history.
- The Tigers have never advanced beyond the third round of the playoffs.
- Under coach Jamie Driskell, Malakoff has compiled an overall record of 76-18 (.809).
- The cumulative record of Malakoff's 12 opponents this season is 61-69 (.469).
- Rockdale running back Davion Ford currently holds Division I FBS offers from North Texas and Tulsa.
- Malakoff and Rockdale share three common opponents -- West, Troy, and Groesbeck. Malakoff won those games by an aggregate score of 151-42, while Rockdale won all three a combined 124-84.
- Rockdale's only loss was a 37-28 setback to Taylor in Week 2.
- The cumulative record of Rockdale's 12 opponents this season is 68-63 (.519).
Key matchup: Rockdale rushing attack Malakoff defensive front. Rockdale is fairly balanced on the offensive side of the ball, but the running game is where most of its production lies. The Tigers enter Friday afternoon's playoff game averaging more than 416 yards per game, but more than 250 of that has come on the ground. The duo of senior running back Davion Ford, a Division I recruit, and dual-threat senior quarterback David Franklin has been carrying Rockdale's offense all season long. Both players have eclipsed the 1,000-yard rushing mark, and the pair has combined for more than 2,500 rushing yards. Ford is the workhorse, averaging right at 20 carries per game, with 30 rushing TD's on the year.
Only two teams have scored more than 20 points on Malakoff this season -- Groesbeck and Teague. In the other 10 games, Malakoff has surrendered an average of just 9.4 points per game. If the Tigers can keep Rockdale's talented QB/RB tandem contained, Malakoff stands an excellent chance of keeping its undefeated season intact.
Don't be surprised if: Friday's game is more closely contested than either Malakoff or Rockdale are accustomed. Malakoff's average margin of victory this season is 35 points, while Rockdale is defeating opponents by an average score of 44-25. These set of Tigers are two of the best teams in the state in the 3A classification, and the winner of this game, would be considered a favorite to reach the UIL state championships in Arlington next month.