Arp Athlete Kayce Medlock Picks Up Offer From ULL
Make it two offers for Arp athlete Kayce Medlock.
Louisiana-Lafayette extended a college football scholarship opportunity the junior's way Friday, several hours after notifying John Tyler cornerback Javontavius Mosley that he too is a wanted man in Lafayette, La.
The Ragin' Cajuns join SMU in the chase for Medlock (5-10, 185), who reported the invitation via his personal Twitter account.
Medlock finished his junior year second on the Arp team in rushing with 1,184 yards and 15 touchdowns on 110 carries. He also passed for 366 yards and a pair of touchdowns, and caught a pair of touchdown passes on offense.
Defensively, the all-around athlete had 42 tackles plus a team-best five interceptions.
With Medlock, Arp battled back from a 1-5 start for an 8-6 finish and a trip to the third round of the Class 3A Division II playoffs. The year ended with a loss to District 8-3A Division II rival Waskom, which went on to win the classification's state championship game for a second year in a row while extending its unbeaten streak to 31 games.
The Ragin’ Cajuns, led by Mark Hudspeth, posted a 4-8 record in 2015 after four consecutive trips to the New Orleans Bowl.
ULL’s upcoming squad will feature former Carthage offensive lineman Adrian Goodacre as well as two new signees from the East Texas region in Newton linebacker Tanner Holmes and Jasper tight end Cody Mitchell.
In addition to Friday's activity toward Medlock and Mosley, Hudspeth's staff has an offer out for uncommitted John Tyler junior quarterback Bryson Smith.
Medlock could be an even bigger part of Arp's 2016 plans. Leading rusher Jullian Herndon, a senior, graduates in May.
Arp will compete in a very strong District 9-3A Division II this upcoming season alongside Beckville, Elysian Fields, Harleton, Troup, Waskom and West Rusk. The University Interscholastic League unveiled the new alignment earlier this month.
Like all high school football players currently in their junior year, Medlock will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him in February, 2017.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Houston, SMU (2)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — committed to SMU; additional offer from Kansas (2)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR, 6-2, 180 — offers from Arizona State, Kansas, SMU, Texas State, Texas Tech (5)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Louisiana Tech, Texas Tech (2)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from SMU, ULL (2)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — offers from Houston, SMU, Texas State, ULL, UTSA (5)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, ATH, 5-11, 160 — offers from Bowling Green, SMU, Texas State, ULL (4)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (6)