Arp’s DeMarvion Overshown Commits to Texas
It's been a good couple of days for head coach Tom Herman and the Texas Longhorns football program in East Texas.
One day after receiving a commitment from the top-ranked running back in the state, the Horns added another dynamic player from the region.
Arp safety DeMarvion Overshown, East Texas' most recruited player in the 2018 recruiting class, announced via Twitter on Wednesday that he is committed to Texas.
Carthage running back Keaontay Ingram pledged to the Longhorns on Tuesday.
Overshown, widely regarded as East Texas' most talented prospects in his class, chose Texas over 29 other schools that offered, including Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and USC.
He became the seventh prospect in East Texas’ 2018 class to commit.
Overshown is the 10th player in the 2018 cycle to commit to Texas, which according to Scout.com, is currently a top 10 class nationally.
The Longhorns are no stranger to landing commitments from the East Texas area.
Since 2014, Texas has signed nine players from the region, most recently Nacogdoches CB Josh Thompson, John Tyler WR Damion Miller, and Hooks ATH Montrell Estell this past February.
Texas signed Nacogdoches S Brandon Jones and Gilmer LB Demarco Boyd in 2016, Gilmer CB Kris Boyd in 2015, and the trio of Jasper OL Terrell Cuney, Longview WR Dorian Leonard, and Newton RB Kevin Shorter in 2014.
Texas has been under new management since late-November 2016 when former Houston head coach Tom Herman took over for the fired Charlie Strong. Prior to his two years at Houston, when the Cougars posted a record of 22-4, Herman won a national championship as the offensive coordinator at Ohio State.
The Longhorns were 5-7 in 2016 under Strong, and 16-21 in his three seasons at Texas.
Overshown helped guide Arp to a Class 3A Division II state semifinal appearance last season. Arp missed the state championship game by one point.
The safety recorded 173 tackles and four total takeaways in 15 games played. He also caught four balls for 121 yards as a receiver.
Overshown's commitment is non-binding. He will first become eligible to sign with any school that offers him in December.
2018 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tre Allison, John Tyler, OLB, 6-2, 211 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Texas State, Tulane, ULL (7)
- Chance Amie, Tyler Lee, QB, 6-3, 190 — offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Georgia State, Houston, Iowa State, New Mexico, North Texas, Rutgers, Southern Miss, Syracuse, Tulane, ULL, Virginia (17)
- Xavier Benson, Pleasant Grove, LB, 6-0, 200 — offers from Arkansas State, Army, Memphis, North Texas, Rice, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane, ULL, ULM, Wyoming (13)
- Drake Centers, Tatum, OL, 6-3, 296 — offers from SMU, Texas State (2)
- Kylar Cooks, Liberty-Eylau, OL, 6-5, 252 — offers from Arkansas State, North Texas, Texas State, ULL (4)
- Kris Dike, Van, OL, 6-6, 283 — offers from Colorado, Houston, Memphis, North Texas, Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU, Tulane (8)
- Dekalen Goodson, John Tyler, DE/OLB, 6-2, 209 — committed to Houston; additional offers from Mississippi State, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL (6)
- Trae Hall, Henderson, QB/ATH, 6-3, 185 — offers from Florida Atlantic, New Mexico State, Tulane, ULL, ULM (5)
- Conner Henson, Harmony, OL, 6-3, 243 — offers from ULL, ULM (2)
- Chasen Hines, Marshall, OL, 6-3, 353 — committed to LSU; additional offers from Arizona, Baylor, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, North Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Rice, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech (16)
- Tevailance Hunt, Texas High, WR, 6-2, 180 — committed to Kansas; additional offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Florida Atlantic, Houston, Iowa State, Louisiana Tech, Marshall, Memphis, Nevada, North Texas, Oklahoma State, Southern Miss, Tulsa (14)
- Dewaylon Ingram, Carthage, WR, 6-0, 160 — offer from Arkansas State (1)
- Keaontay Ingram, Carthage, RB, 6-0, 198 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Florida State, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, LSU, Memphis, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Oregon State, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, USC, UTSA (27)
- Malik Jackson, Lufkin, WR, 5-8, 163 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Texas State (3)
- Kameron King, Marshall, OL, 6-2, 275 — offers from Memphis, North Texas, Tulane, ULM (4)
- Trevor Lawrence, Whitehouse, DE, 6-4, 245 — offer from ULM (1)
- DeMarvion Overshown, Arp, S, 6-4, 196 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Colorado, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, LSU, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, South Carolina, Southern Miss, Stanford, TCU, Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, UTSA (30)
- Leonard Parks, Texas High, DE, 6-5, 230 — offer from ULM (1)
- Jonathan Shepherd, Kilgore, WR, 6-3, 196 — offers from Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Houston, Kansas State, ULM, Missouri, New Mexico, Memphis, North Texas, Oklahoma State, Oregon State, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech (15)
- Tyree Wilson, West Rusk, LB, 6-5, 225 — committed to Washington State; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, Memphis, New Mexico, Oklahoma State, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Tulane, ULL, ULM, Wyoming (13)