Arp’s Kayce Medlock Picks Up Offer From Navy
The second U.S. service academy is interested in acquiring the talents of Arp junior ATH Kayce Medlock.
Navy became the sixth Division I FBS program to offer the Tigers' multi-talented standout, Medlock relayed through Twitter on Wednesday night.
Medlock (5-9, 186) now holds offers from both Army and Navy, in addition to Colorado, SMU, Tulane, and Louisiana-Lafayette.
Navy, which signed Liberty-Eylau DB Andre Wiley Jr. back in February, is a member of the American Athletic Conference and competes against Texas-based programs Houston and SMU, among others.
The Midshipmen are coached by Ken Niumatalolo, who's gone 68-37 since taking the over the program during the 2007 season. Navy enjoyed breakout success in 2015, finishing with an 11-2 record, which included a 44-28 win over Pittsburgh in the Military Bowl.
Medlock finished his junior year second on the Arp team in rushing with 1,184 yards and 15 touchdowns on 110 carries. He also passed for 366 yards and a pair of touchdowns, and caught a pair of touchdown passes on offense.
Defensively, the all-around athlete had 42 tackles plus a team-best five interceptions.
With Medlock, Arp battled back from a 1-5 start for an 8-6 finish and a trip to the fourth round of the Class 3A Division II playoffs. The year ended with a loss to District 8-3A Division II rival Waskom, which went on to win the classification’s state championship game for a second year in a row while extending its unbeaten streak to 31 games.
Medlock could be an even bigger part of Arp’s 2016 plans. Leading rusher Jullian Herndon, a senior, graduates in a few weeks.
Arp will compete in a very strong District 9-3A Division II this upcoming season alongside Beckville, Elysian Fields, Harleton, Troup, Waskom and West Rusk. The University Interscholastic League unveiled the new alignment in February.
Like all high school football players currently in their junior year, Medlock will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him on February 1, 2017.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Navy, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM, UTSA, Wyoming (12)
- Noah Bush, Athens, LB, 6-2, 225 — offer from Army (1)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Houston, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, North Texas, Ole Miss, SMU, Syracuse, UTSA, TCU, Tulsa (13)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (7)
- Ted Fuller, Harleton, RB, 5-11, 195 — offer from ULM (1)
- Austin Hawley, Gladewater, DB, 6-1, 200 — offer from ULM (1)
- Kollin Hurt, Gilmer, DB, 6-3, 175 — offer from ULM (1)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from Army, Colorado, Navy, SMU, Tulane, ULL (6)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offer from Arkansas State, Indiana, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (7)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, North Texas, SMU, Texas State, ULL, ULM, UTSA (8)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offers from Texas State, ULM (2)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 6-0, 170 — offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, Purdue, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL, ULM, UTSA (12)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (11)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 180 — offered by Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, Ohio, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULM, UTSA, Washington State, Wyoming (10)
- Traveion Webster, Longview, S, 6-0, 197 — offered by ULM (1)