John Tyler Receiver + Texas Commit Damion Miller Offered By Ole Miss
It's been nearly three months since John Tyler's Damion Miller committed to Texas. But that hasn't stopped the pursuit of the 2017 wide receiver.
Ole Miss became the eighth school to offer Miller overall, but the first since Miller pledged to Texas on June 25. Miller announced the offer through his personal Twitter account Tuesday evening.
The eight offers for Miller is one behind the East Texas leader for 2017, Liberty-Eylau defensive end Lagaryonn Carson.
Miller (6-2, 205) is a consensus four-star prospect, ranked nationally as one of the best junior recruits at his position. Scout.com ranks Miller 98th overall in the country, and the second-best wideout in Texas for the 2017 class.
Ole Miss has not had much luck signing players from East Texas out of high school in recent years, and Miller is the first player from the region in his class to receiver an offer from the Rebels.
The Rebels, buoyed by strong recruiting classes in recent years, have turned into a force in the famed SEC West Division. Ole Miss flirted with becoming a member of the inaugural College Football Playoff a season ago, and has defeated Alabama in back-to-back seasons after last Saturday's win in Tuscaloosa, Ala.
Ole Miss is 3-0 so far this season and is currently ranked No. 3 -- tied with TCU -- in the Associated Press poll.
Miller, following a breakout sophomore campaign, is off to a slow start this season, as is the entire John Tyler (0-3) offense. He enters Friday's District 16-5A opener against Whitehouse with seven catches for 101 yards and a touchdown.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Lagaryonn Carson, DE, Liberty-Eylau, 6-5, 261 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, SMU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, WR/S, Henderson, 5-11, 180 – offers from Kansas, SMU (2)
- Montrell Estell, WR/S, Hooks, 6-2, 180 — offers from Kansas, Texas Tech (2)
- Octavius Evans, WR, Center, 6-1, 186 — offers from Louisiana Tech, Texas Tech (2)
- Damion Miller, WR, John Tyler, 6-2, 205 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Major Tennison, TE, Bullard, 6-4, 220 — offers from Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (3)