John Tyler’s Bryson Smith Offered By Purdue
The offers keep piling up for John Tyler junior QB/ATH Bryson Smith, who is now tied for the most Division I FBS scholarship opportunities among East Texans in the 2017 recruiting class.
Smith (6-0, 170) earned his 12th offer on Wednesday, this one coming from Purdue, an announcement made on the John Tyler football program's official Twitter account.
The 12 offers are tied with Hooks WR/DB Montrell Estell for most among incoming seniors in East Texas.
In addition to Purdue, Smith holds offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, and UTSA.
Smith is the first East Texan in the current recruiting cycle to pick up an offer from Purdue, which also constitutes the Lions' standout's first offer from a school within the Power 5 conferences (ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12, SEC).
Purdue, a member of the Big Ten, is coming off a 2-10 season in 2015, the third under head coach Darrell Hazell.
Smith threw for 2,416 yards and 20 touchdowns to six interceptions last year while simultaneously leading the team with 1,421 rushing yards and 21 scores. He started as a receiver his sophomore year.
He helped lead John Tyler to a District 16-5A championship and an 8-4 season record. The Lions' season ended with an area-round loss to eventual Class 5A Division I state finalist Mansfield Lake Ridge.
JT will jump to Class 6A this fall and compete in District 11, along with Longview, Mesquite, Mesquite Horn, North Mesquite, Rockwall, Rockwall-Heath, and Tyler Lee.
The Lions open the season Aug. 27 at home against Plano West.
Smith, like all high school football prospects currently in their junior year, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers them in February of 2017.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Navy, North Texas, SMU, ULL, UTSA (10)
- Noah Bush, Athens, LB, 6-2, 225 — offer from Army (1)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, North Texas, SMU, Syracuse, UTSA, TCU, Tulsa (10)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (6)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from Army, Colorado, SMU, Tulane, ULL (5)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Houston, Kansas, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (10)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offer from Arkansas State, Indiana, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM (6)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, North Texas, SMU, Texas State, ULL, ULM, UTSA (8)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 6-0, 170 — offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, Purdue, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL, ULM, UTSA (12)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (11)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 180 — offered by Louisiana Tech, Ohio, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULM, UTSA (7)
- Traveion Webster, Longview, S, 6-0, 197 — offered by ULM (1)