SMU First School to Offer Arp’s Kayce Medlock
SMU's strong presence in East Texas continued Monday as the Mustangs offered the seventh player from the region's 2017 class.
The latest went to Arp running back Kayce Medlock, who reported the offer via Twitter on Monday evening.
SMU, which just finished its first season under head coach Chad Morris, has given three area recruits in the 2017 class their first FBS scholarship opportunity this month.
The Mustangs offered John Tyler quarterback Bryson Smith and cornerback Javontavius Mosley before extending an offer to Medlock.
SMU also has East Texas 2017 offers out to Liberty-Eylau defensive end and Texas commit Lagaryonn Carson, Henderson receiver Trestan Ebner, John Tyler receiver and Texas pledge Damion Miller, and Bullard tight end and Texas commit Major Tennison.
The Mustangs, who compete in the American Athletic Conference, finished the 2015 season at 2-10 after a 1-11 campaign the year before.
Morris, who began his high school coaching career at Eustace in 1994, compiled a 169-38 record in the state at Eustace, Elysian Fields, Bay City, Stephenville, and Lake Travis. He went 32-0 at Lake Travis and won back-to-back state championships in 2008 and 2009.
He then became the offensive coordinator at Tulsa (2010) and Clemson (2011-14) before coming to SMU.
Medlock (5-10, 185), who played quarterback, running back and defensive back this season, was instrumental in helping Arp (7-6) reach the Class 3A Division II regional semifinals, where it eventually was eliminated by District 8-3A foe Waskom, which will play for its second consecutive state title on Thursday.
He finished his junior year second on the team in rushing with 1,184 yards and 15 touchdowns on 110 carries. Medlock passed for 366 yards and a pair of touchdowns, and caught a pair of touchdown passes on offense. Defensively, he had 42 tackles with a team-best five interceptions.
Medlock was also a standout at the third annual ETSN.fm + APEC Football Recruiting Combine in Tyler last May. He finished in the top 15 of the 113 athletes in attendance with a laser-timed 4.60-second 40-yard dash.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, WR, Tyler Bishop Gorman, 6-3, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Lagaryonn Carson, DE, Liberty-Eylau, 6-5, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, SMU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, WR/S, Henderson, 5-11, 180 – offers from Kansas, SMU (2)
- Montrell Estell, WR/S, Hooks, 6-2, 180 — offers from Kansas, Texas Tech (2)
- Octavius Evans, WR, Center, 6-1, 186 — offers from Louisiana Tech, Texas Tech (2)
- Kayce Medlock, RB, Arp, 5-10, 185 -- offer from SMU (1)
- Damion Miller, WR, John Tyler, 6-2, 205 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Javontavius Mosley, CB, John Tyler, 6-1, 170 — offer from SMU (1)
- Bryson Smith, QB/ATH, John Tyler, 5-11, 165 — offer from SMU (1)
- Major Tennison, TE, Bullard, 6-5, 240 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (6)