SMU First to Offer John Tyler 2017 QB/ATH Bryson Smith
The first offer is in for John Tyler 2017 QB/ATH Bryson Smith, and it's from SMU. The John Tyler official Twitter account tweeted the news early Saturday afternoon.
Smith (5-11, 165), who just completed his first season as the Lions starting quarterback, figures to see his recruitment pick up in the coming months.
The JT signal caller played receiver as a sophomore, but enjoyed breakout success at quarterback in the fall. He finished with 2,415 yards passing to go with 20 touchdowns and six interceptions, while running for a team-best 1,421 yards and 21 scores.
Smith helped the Lions (8-4) claim the District 16-5A championship and reach the area round of the playoffs where they were eliminated by Mansfield Lake Ridge.
At the third annual ETSN.fm + APEC Football Recruiting Combine in Tyler last May, Smith put on a show. He recorded the highest vertical jump of all 113 athletes in attendance at 39 inches, and logged the best laser-timed 40-yard dash at 4.52 seconds.
He has drawn comparisons to former John Tyler and current Houston Cougars quarterback Greg Ward Jr.
Smith is the seventh East Texas player in the 2017 recruiting class with at least one FBS scholarship offer. His junior teammate, receiver Damion Miller, has committed to Texas.
SMU, which recently wrapped up its first year under head Chad Morris, was 2-10 this season after going 1-11 in 2014. The Mustangs have now offered five players from the region in the 2017 cycle.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Lagaryonn Carson, DE, Liberty-Eylau, 6-5, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, SMU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, WR/S, Henderson, 5-11, 180 – offers from Kansas, SMU (2)
- Montrell Estell, WR/S, Hooks, 6-2, 180 — offers from Kansas, Texas Tech (2)
- Octavius Evans, WR, Center, 6-1, 186 — offers from Louisiana Tech, Texas Tech (2)
- Damion Miller, WR, John Tyler, 6-2, 205 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Bryson Smith, QB/ATH, John Tyler, 5-11, 165 -- offer from SMU (1)
- Major Tennison, TE, Bullard, 6-4, 220 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Michigan, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (5)