SMU First to Offer John Tyler’s Javontavius Mosley
The first offer is in for John Tyler 2017 cornerback Javontavius Mosley, and it came from SMU, it was announced Thursday morning via the John Tyler football official Twitter account.
Mosley (6-1, 170) became the second John Tyler junior to receive their first FBS opportunity from SMU in less than a week, as Lions quarterback Bryson Smith was targeted by the Mustangs on Dec. 5.
East Texas now has nine players in the 2017 recruiting class with at least one FBS offer.
SMU has offered six of them -- Mosley, Smith, Liberty-Eylau defensive end and Texas commit Lagaryonn Carson, Henderson receiver Trestan Ebner, John Tyler receiver and Texas pledge Damion Miller, and Bullard tight end and Longhorns commit Major Tennison.
The Mustangs, who compete in the American Athletic Conference, just wrapped up their first season under head coach Chad Morris, an East Texas native who got his coaching career started in the area at Eustace and Elysian Fields. Morris then went on to have great success at Bay City, Stephenville, and Lake Travis, before joining the college ranks as an offensive coordinator at Tulsa and Clemson.
SMU finished 2-10 in 2015, which followed up a 1-11 performance the season before.
Mosley is coming off a solid junior season at John Tyler. He made 60 tackles, had two interceptions, broke up 12 passes, and recovered a fumble in helping the Lions (8-4) capture the District 16-5A championship and advance to the area round of the playoffs.
The Lions cornerback was one of three standout underclassmen in the JT secondary this season as juniors Kieran Freeman and Da'Quaylon Kennedy combined for eight interceptions in 2015.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, WR, Tyler Bishop Gorman, 6-3, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Lagaryonn Carson, DE, Liberty-Eylau, 6-5, 261 -- committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, SMU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, WR/S, Henderson, 5-11, 180 – offers from Kansas, SMU (2)
- Montrell Estell, WR/S, Hooks, 6-2, 180 — offers from Kansas, Texas Tech (2)
- Octavius Evans, WR, Center, 6-1, 186 — offers from Louisiana Tech, Texas Tech (2)
- Damion Miller, WR, John Tyler, 6-2, 205 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Javontavius Mosley, CB, John Tyler, 6-1, 170 -- offer from SMU (1)
- Bryson Smith, QB/ATH, John Tyler, 5-11, 165 — offer from SMU (1)
- Major Tennison, TE, Bullard, 6-5, 240 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (6)