Southern Miss Offers Texas High’s Coltin Clack
Texas High quarterback Coltin Clack has yet to start a game in his varsity career, but will enter the 2017 season with at least three Division I FBS scholarship options.
Clack (6-3, 202) announced via Twitter on Monday that Southern Miss became the third FBS program to offer.
He was previously offered by Florida Atlantic and SMU.
Clack is the second East Texas prospect in the 2019 class to be targeted by Southern Miss, joining Pittsburg receiver Keontae Burns.
At the fifth annual ETSN Combine at APEC in Tyler on May 21, Clack was voted the event's Most Valuable Player among quarterbacks.
He put up the second-most bench press reps of 185 pounds within his position group with 12, added a 33-inch vertical jump (third among QB's), and his power squat was also the third-best among the signal-callers.
Clack is expected to be named successor to Cade Pearson, who enrolled at North Texas in January after completing his senior season at Texas High. Clack was Pearson’s back up last year.
For a second consecutive year, Texas High will have a quarterback and receiver duo with college interest.
Pearson played his senior campaign committed to North Texas while leading receiver Quan Hampton held offers and subsequently committed to Kansas. This year, the school will have Clack and Kansas receiver commitment Tevailance Hunt, a rising senior, as NCAA Division I FBS caliber players.
Southern Miss, located in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, has taken a more active role inside East Texas since head coach Jay Hopson arrived in January of 2016.
Hopson led Southern Miss to a 6-6 regular season record last year and ended the year on a high note with a New Orleans Bowl win. The Golden Eagles went 1-1 against Southeastern Conference competition with a season-opening win at Kentucky and a midseason loss to LSU while posting a 4-4 record against their Conference USA peers.
Clack will first become eligible to sign with any program that offers him in December of 2018.
2019 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Jade Ashalintubbi, Elysian Fields, OL, 6-6, 331 —offers from Tulsa, ULM (2)
- Chance Billington, John Tyler, OL, 6-3, 201 — offer from SMU (1)
- Keontae Burns, Pittsburg, WR, 6-3, 182 — offers from Iowa State, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss (4)
- Coltin Clack, Texas High, QB, 6-3, 202 — offers from Florida Atlantic, SMU, Southern Miss (3)
- T.Q. Jackson, Jefferson, WR, 6-2, 175 — offer from SMU (1)
- Keivie Rose, Henderson, DE, 6-4, 220 — offers from Arkansas State, Florida Atlantic, SMU, Tulane (4)
- Carl Williams, Lufkin, DT, 6-3, 275 — offers from Oklahoma, SMU, TCU, Tulsa (4)