Texas Offers John Tyler Quarterback Bryson Smith
Bryson Smith now has two scholarship opportunities from Tom Herman in his portfolio.
Herman, the brand new head football coach at the University of Texas, contacted the senior John Tyler quarterback Tuesday and asked him to reconsider his commitment to Houston. The tricky thing is, Smith committed to Houston when Herman was the head coach there.
John Tyler's official football Twitter account, which is controlled by the coaching staff, was the first to report Smith's offer from Texas.
The Longhorns program and Houston have particular pitches for Smith (6-0, 175) to consider down the stretch.
Smith will join a long line of John Tyler players to wear burnt orange and white -- headlined by Heisman Trophy winner Earl Campbell -- if he accepts the Texas scholarship opportunity. Teammate and receiver Damion Miller is a Longhorns commitment and still intends to sign with the program in February despite the coaching shift away from Charlie Strong.
However, Smith probably will have to play a different position at Texas despite recording about 5,000 total yards of offense through a 13-game senior season.
E.J. Holland, a reporter for 247Sports.com with an emphasis in Longhorns recruiting affairs, reported Texas is interested in obtaining Smith as an inside receiver.
Starting Longhorns quarterback Shane Buechele will only be a sophomore next season, and the program is still expecting senior Austin Westlake signal-caller Sam Ehlinger to follow through on his commitment.
Smith played some receiver on varsity as a sophomore and made six catches for 167 yards.
Houston, at least under the leftovers from Herman's staff, wants Smith to ultimately succeed former John Tyler quarterback Greg Ward Jr. as its starter under center. Former John Tyler defensive end Braylon Jones also is an contributor on the team as a true freshman and will be there for the next three seasons.
The drawback at Houston is that it has not settled on a new coach, might hire someone with different ideas for Smith and is free to rescind the offer altogether.
Smith recently reaffirmed his commitment to Houston in an interview NTheLoopSports.com released Wednesday, but that interview took place before the Longhorns offered him.
Texas went 5-7 this season with Strong in charge of the program. It missed a bowl game for the second consecutive year and only reached one bowl in Strong's three seasons.
Still, the Longhorns program isn't very far removed from being one of the country's best. It most recently won the 2005 title and made another appearance in the championship game at the end of the 2009 season.
Fifty-six consensus All-Americans call Texas home as does Campbell and a second Heisman winner in Ricky Williams. The program has 32 conference titles and claims four national championships.
Houston is 9-3 overall and preparing for a Las Vegas Bowl appearance against San Diego State.
Smith, like all college football prospects that are currently seniors in high school, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him in February.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tristan Allen, Atlanta, LB, 6-3, 206 — committed to Louisiana Tech; additional offer from UTEP (2)
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — committed to Navy; additional offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Memphis, New Mexico, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM, UTSA, Wyoming (13)
- Noah Bush, Athens, LB, 6-1, 216 — offers from Air Force, Army (2)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Terrell Cooper, Lindale, DE, 6-3, 240 — offers from Arkansas State, Memphis, North Texas, Texas State (4)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — committed to TCU; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Texas, Ole Miss, SMU, Syracuse, UTSA, Texas A&M, Tulsa (18)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (7)
- Ted Fuller, Harleton, RB, 5-11, 195 — offers from ULM, Wyoming (2)
- Tre Gatlin, Carthage, DE, 6-6, 210 —offer from Wyoming (1)
- Quan Hampton, Texas High, WR, 5-8, 165 — committed to Texas State (1)
- Austin Hawley, Gladewater, DB, 6-1, 200 — committed to ULM (1)
- Kollin Hurt, Gilmer, DB, 6-3, 175 — committed to Louisiana Tech; additional offers from ULM, UTSA (3)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — offer from Air Force, Army (2)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-10, 186 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Army, Colorado, Navy, Tulane, ULL, UTSA (7)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — committed to Oklahoma State; additional offers from Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, New Mexico State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (13)
- Javonta Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — committed to UTSA; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Memphis, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, ULL, ULM (10)
- Cade Pearson, Texas High, QB, 6-3, 193 — committed to North Texas; additional offer from Wyoming (2)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — committed to Texas State; additional offers from Air Force, Army (3)
- Dez Robinson, Atlanta, LB, 6-3, 210 — offers from UTEP, Wyoming (2)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — committed to Texas State; additional offers from Arkansas State, ULM (3)
- Makyle Sanders, Tyler Lee, S, 6-1, 177 — committed to North Texas; additional offers from Air Force, Memphis, Navy (4)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 6-0, 170 — committed to Houston; additional offers from Air Force, Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Memphis, New Mexico, North Texas, Purdue, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas, Texas State, Tulane, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (17)
- D’Torian Smith, Tatum, DE/LB, 6-3, 225 — committed to Air Force; additional offers from ULM, UTEP (3)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Alabama; additional offers from Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Oregon, SMU, Texas, Texas Tech, UCLA (14)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 182 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Colorado State, Fresno State, Houston, Indiana, Kansas, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, Missouri, North Texas, Ohio, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, SMU, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane, UCLA, ULM, Utah, UTSA, Washington State, Wyoming (28)
- Lakendrick VanZandt, Henderson, S, 6-1, 196 — committed to TCU; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Memphis, Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU, Tulane, Tulsa (8)
- Traveion Webster, Longview, S, 6-0, 197 — offer from ULM (1)