Memphis First School to Offer Tyler Lee’s Makyle Sanders
Tyler Lee defensive back Makyle Sanders became the 21st player in East Texas' 2017 recruiting class to pick up a Division I FBS scholarship offer.
Sanders (6-2, 175) announced an offer from Memphis, via Twitter on Thursday afternoon.
The deep level of talent in East Texas during the current recruiting cycle is very apparent. The area's 2017 class is already closing in on 2015 and 2016, which had 25 and 22 FBS signees, respectively.
Memphis has now targeted two local recruits this cycle -- Sanders and Tyler Bishop Gorman WR Judah Bell.
The Tigers compete in the American Athletic Conference, which was an extremely competitive league in 2015. Memphis began the year 8-0, which included a 37-24 midseason upset of Ole Miss, before dropping four of its final five games to Navy, Houston, Temple, and Auburn (Birmingham Bowl).
Memphis will be led by new head coach Mike Norvell, who's spent the previous few seasons as an assistant at Arizona State. Norvell replaced Justin Fuente, the new head coach at Virginia Tech.
Sanders racked up 105 tackles with two interceptions and 12 passes broken up for Tyler Lee last season. The Red Raiders finished 5-5 in 2015, and tied for third in District 11-6A, but missed out on the postseason due to tiebreakers.
Lee will remain in 11-6A this fall, but will welcome a few new district mates in longtime rivals John Tyler and Longview. Mesquite, Mesquite Horn, North Mesquite, Rockwall, and Rockwall-Heath make up the rest of the league.
Sanders, like all high school football prospects currently in their junior year, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him in February.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Navy, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM, UTSA, Wyoming (12)
- Noah Bush, Athens, LB, 6-2, 225 — offer from Army (1)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Texas, Ole Miss, SMU, Syracuse, UTSA, TCU, Tulsa (16)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (7)
- Ted Fuller, Harleton, RB, 5-11, 195 — offer from ULM (1)
- Austin Hawley, Gladewater, DB, 6-1, 200 — offer from ULM (1)
- Kollin Hurt, Gilmer, DB, 6-3, 175 — offer from ULM (1)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from Army, Colorado, Navy, SMU, Tulane, ULL (6)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offers from Arkansas State, Colorado State, Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (9)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, ULL, ULM, UTSA (9)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offers from Arkansas State, Texas State, ULM (3)
- Makyle Sanders, Tyler Lee, S, 6-2, 175 -- offer from Memphis (1)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 6-0, 170 — offers from Air Force, Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, Purdue, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Tulane, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (15)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (12)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 180 — offered by Arkansas State, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, North Texas, Ohio, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULM, Utah, UTSA, Washington State, Wyoming (14)
- Traveion Webster, Longview, S, 6-0, 197 — offered by ULM (1)