Missouri Offers Nacogdoches’ Brandon Jones
It had been nearly two months since East Texas' scholarship offer leader was formally given an offer from a Division I school.
That was until Thursday when Nacogdoches 2016 safety Brandon Jones tweeted news of his 39th FBS offer, this one from Missouri.
Jones, one of the nation's most coveted safeties, remains uncommitted and will have dozens of schools to choose from before National Signing Day arrives on Feb. 3, 2016.
Missouri is only the latest of those options, as Jones is now the owner of 10 offers from the SEC, the nation's premier college football conference. The only SEC schools Jones has not been offered by are Auburn, Florida, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt.
Jones' (6-0, 190) offers are represented by all Power 5 conferences. The SEC leads the way with 10 offers out to the Dragons' standout, followed by the Pac-12 (8), Big Ten (7), Big 12 (6), and ACC (3).
The Tigers also have offers out to Mineola offensive linemen Austin and Riley Anderson -- both Texas A&M commits -- as well as Jasper tight end Cody Mitchell in the 2016 class.
Missouri, which competed in the Big 12 from its inception in 1996 until the 2011 season, has found the going smooth in three seasons in the SEC, having played in back-to-back conference titles games as SEC East division champions the last two years.
The Tigers, coached by Gary Pinkel, were 11-3 overall and 7-1 in league play last season. Mizzou ended the year with a 33-17 win over Minnesota in the Citrus Bowl on Jan. 1.
After exploding onto the scene with a very productive sophomore season, Jones battled a knee injury in 2014 that caused him to miss half the season. He still finished with 30 tackles and two forced fumbles, including 18 tackles and one caused fumble after returning from the injury.
Jones is hoping he can help lead the Nacogdoches program to the playoffs for a third consecutive season in 2015. It would be the Dragons' first three-peat of postseason berths in school history.
Nacogdoches opens the season Aug. 28 at Kilgore.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Ke’Mon Freeman, QB/ATH, Liberty-Eylau, 5-11, 188 — offers from Arkansas State, North Texas (2)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offers from Baylor, Texas Tech (2)
- La’Darius Hamilton, LB, Corrigan-Camden, 6-1, 220 — offer from ULL (1)
- Keenen Johnson, ATH, Alto, 6-1, 190 – offers from SMU, ULL (2)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, California, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (39)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Houston, Navy (4)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, Lufkin 6-3, 202 – offers from California, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State (4)
- Cody Mitchell, TE, Jasper, 6-5, 225 — offers from Illinois, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, Texas State, ULL (5)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-6, 207 — offers from Cincinnati, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Mississippi State, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM (9)
- Micahh Smith, DB, Marshall, 5-11, 185 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 6-0, 190 — offers from Colorado State, Kansas, Nebraska, Texas State (4)
- Andre Wiley Jr., OLB/S, Liberty-Eylau, 5-10, 170 – committed to Arkansas State; additional offers from Louisiana Tech, Navy (3)