[By Tony Kirk, Special to ETSN.fm]

NEW BOSTON -- The New Boston Lions held off a second-half rally by recovering an onside kick with 1:40 remaining, sealing a 17-14 win Friday night.

Pleasant Grove (1-1), which trailed 17-0 at halftime, scored two second-half touchdowns, but it wasn't enough as New Boston (1-1) bounced back from a 41-7 Week 1 defeat to Atlanta.

In the second half, Pleasant Grove shut out the Lions' offense. With 5:38 left in the third quarter, Ty Everett scored on a 7-yard run.  Dalton Hinton added the extra point to pull the Hawks within 10 at 17-7.

The Hawks' second-half defensive effort was highlighted by a goal-line stand that resulted in Carson Craytor blocking a Lions field goal attempt midway through the fourth quarter.

Pleasant Grove’s second touchdown came on a 41-yard run by freshman Chauncey Martin. Hinton’s PAT brought the Hawks within three points.

Hinton then executed a perfect onside kick that bounced off the hands of Hawks junior Todd Rigsby, who was injured attempting to make the play as the ball went out of bounds.

An 11-yard run for a first down by the Lions' Quinn Dedman sealed the win for New Boston with 1:18 left on the clock.

Everett led all rushers with 110 yards on the night. Hunter Hatfield chipped in 65 yards on 18 carries. The Hawks' offense totaled 323 yards -- all on the ground.

Dedmon paced New Boston with 84 yards on 16 carries.

New Boston scored on the second play from scrimmage on a 55-yard run by Jeff Gladney. The senior TCU commit started left on a sweep, then reversed field for the highlight-reel score. Cole Pace added the PAT to put the Lions in front 1:23 into the game.

The Hawks were on the move on their first possession when Everett fumbled and turned the ball over deep into Lions territory. New Boston then took only six plays to drive 69 yards for its second TD of the period. The score came on a 23-yard off run by junior Devontae Wade. Pace tacked on the point to make it 14-0 with 5:13 remaining in the first quarter.

The Hawks seemed intent on putting up their first score of the night with 3:23 left in the half when, on third-and-2, Hatfield appeared to have the first down before fumbling deep in Lions territory.  Even though the Hawks recovered the ball, the officials awarded possession to the Lions. The Lions responded by driving down to set up a 31-yard field goal by Pace, taking a 17-point lead into the locker room.

Pleasant Grove will return home next Friday to take on the Linden-Kildare, while New Boston plays host to Pittsburg the same night.