Pine Tree’s Caleb Chumley Commits to North Texas
North Texas has assembled quite the East Texas-flavored 2014 recruiting class.
The Mean Green got its fourth East Texas commitment Friday night when Pine Tree quarterback/athlete Caleb Chumley pledged to UNT.
The 6-foot-5 1/2, 240-pound Chumley confirmed his commitment with ETSN.fm around 11 p.m. Friday after the Longview News-Journal reported that PT interim head coach Derrick Hennigan said earlier Friday evening that Chumley would sign with North Texas on Wednesday.
Chumley missed most of his senior season with a foot injury, but his potential is great considering his uncommon combination of size and athleticism. At one point in his recruiting process, Chumley held offers from nine Division I FBS programs -- Houston, Kansas, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Missouri, New Mexico State, North Texas, Oregon State, Texas State -- but as classes filled, he narrowed the process to a final few schools. Chumley visited North Texas last weekend and said he enjoyed the trip.
While some schools recruited Chumley as a receiver or a tight end, he has maintained throughout the process that North Texas wants him as a quarterback.
In the final few games of PT's 2013 season, Chumley split time at receiver and quarterback. He finished with 99 passing yards, one touchdown pass, five rushing touchdowns, and four catches for 80 yards and one score. As a junior, he started the year at receiver before posting monster numbers in limited action at quarterback at the end of the 2012 campaign. After catching seven passes for 109 yards, he exploded in PT’s final three games while playing quarterback, throwing for 832 yards, seven touchdowns, and three interceptions, while rushing for 305 yards and five touchdowns.
Chumley is the latest piece of an impressive four-player East Texas class for the Mean Green, which went 9-4 and won the Heart of Dallas Bowl in its first season playing in Conference-USA. Chumley joins big Carthage receivers Terian "Tee" Goree and O'Keeron Rutherford and playmaking Sulphur Springs athlete Willy Ivery on the Mean Green commitment list.
But North Texas might not be finished there. Elkhart running back Jeffery Wilson was expected to visit Denton this weekend and already held a Mean Green offer. Wilson led East Texas in rushing this past fall with 2,749 yards and 36 touchdowns.
2014 North Texas Commitments from East Texas
- Caleb Chumley, QB/ATH, Pine Tree, 6-5, 240
- Terian "Tee" Goree, WR, Carthage, 6-2, 170
- Willy Ivery, ATH, Sulphur Springs, 5-8, 180
- O'Keeron Rutherford, WR, Carthage, 6-5, 181
2014 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Blake Bogenschutz, QB, Carthage, 6-1, 175 -- committed to UTSA (1)
- Jacob Bragg, OL, Nacogdoches, 6-4, 310 -- committed to Kansas; additional offers from Louisiana Tech, Oregon State, ULM (4)
- K.D. Cannon, WR, Mount Pleasant, 6-0, 160 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Arizona, Clemson, Florida State, Houston, Miami, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Purdue, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Utah, Vanderbilt, Virginia, West Virginia (21)
- Caleb Chumley, QB/ATH, Pine Tree, 6-5, 240 -- committed to North Texas; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Missouri, New Mexico State, Oregon State, Texas State (9)
- Joseph Clark, RB/S, Chapel Hill, 5-9, 175 -- committed to Texas Tech; additional offers from Air Force, Navy, Texas State (4)
- Kade Clayton, ATH, Tyler Grace, 6-0, 180 — offers from Navy, Texas State (2)
- Terrell Cuney, C, Jasper, 6-3, 260 — committed to Texas; additional offers from TCU, Texas Tech (3)
- Devondrick Dixon, ATH, Gilmer, 5-9, 170 -- committed to Texas State (1)
- Rashaan Donelson, QB, Liberty-Eylau, 6-0, 187 -- offer from Navy (1)
- Adrian Goodacre, OL, Carthage, 6-4, 318 -- committed to ULL; additional offer from Houston (2)
- Terian "Tee" Goree, WR, Carthage, 6-2, 170 -- committed to North Texas; additional offers from Colorado, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, San Diego State, ULL, ULM, UTSA (9)
- Davion Hall, ATH, Liberty-Eylau, 6-2, 191 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, SMU, Stanford, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- Zaycoven Henderson, DT, Longview, 6-1, 300 — enrolled at Texas A&M; additional offers from Baylor, Florida, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, South Carolina, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, Washington, Washington State (18)
- Travin Howard, S, Longview, 6-0, 178 -- committed to TCU; additional offer from UTSA (2)
- Willy Ivery, ATH, Sulphur Springs, 5-8, 180 -- committed to North Texas; additional offers from Colorado State, New Mexico, Texas State, Toledo (5)
- Taylor Jackson, WR, Texas High -- offer from Navy (1)
- Jamal Jeffery, WR, Lufkin, 5-9, 165 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Chris Jefferson, ATH, Athens, 6-2, 200 -- committed to SMU (1)
- Jawuan Johnson, DB, New Boston, 6-0, 195 -- committed to Northern Illinois (1)
- Dorian Leonard, WR, Longview, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas; offers from Florida State, Oklahoma, Oregon State, San Diego State, Texas Tech (6)
- Reggie Long, LB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 218 -- offers from Air Force (1)
- Ben Luckett, RB, Palestine, 6-0, 195 -- committed to ULM (1)
- Patrick Mahomes, QB, Whitehouse, 6-3, 203 — committed to Texas Tech; additional offers from Houston, North Texas, Rice (4)
- Stephan Maxey, DB, Longview, 5-11, 185 -- offer from UTSA (1)
- Keith Minor, DL, Chapel Hill, 6-3, 237 -- committed to New Mexico; additional offer from Cincinnati (2)
- Jarrell Owens, LB/DE, Palestine, 6-3, 230 -- committed to TCU; additional offers from Texas State, Texas Tech, ULM (4)
- Greg Roberts, DE, Nacogdoches, 6-5, 200 -- committed to Baylor (1)
- Anthony Rhone, LB, Texas High, 6-0, 210 -- committed to SMU (1)
- O'Keeron Rutherford, WR, Carthage, 6-5, 181 -- committed to North Texas; additional offer from ULM (2)
- Anthony Sanders, ATH, Athens, 5-11, 185 -- offer from ULM (1)
- Kevin Shorter, RB/S, Newton, 6-0, 190 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Arkansas, Army, Baylor, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Houston, Kansas, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, San Diego State, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, ULM, Utah (22)
- Brian Thlang, OL, Palestine, 6-2, 290 -- committed ULM (1)
- Wesley Thompson, ATH, Chapel Hill, 6-1, 185 -- committed to ULM (1)
- Josh Walker, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-1, 220 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (4)
- Tre Walker, RB, Texas High, 5-10, 175 -- offer from Navy (1)
- D.J. Williams, DT, Lufkin, 6-4, 293 -- committed to Kansas; additional offers from Houston, Miami, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma (6)
- Jeffery Wilson, RB, Elkhart, 6-0, 190 -- offers from New Mexico State, North Texas, Texas State, ULM (4)