Pine Tree’s Caleb Chumley to Visit North Texas This Weekend
A foot injury cost Caleb Chumley most of his senior football season, but that won't prevent him from getting the opportunity to play at the Division I FBS level.
Pine Tree's senior athlete, who has experience playing receiver and quarterback, will visit North Texas this weekend, he told ETSN.fm on Thursday night.
North Texas is 1 of 9 schools that have offered Chumley, who also holds offers from Houston, Kansas, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Missouri, New Mexico State, Oregon State, and Texas State. Chumley said offensive coordinator Mike Canales and offensive line coach Mike Simmonds have recruited him for the Mean Green.
Quarterback, receiver, and hybrid tight end are the spots Chumley has been tabbed by recruiters, he said, adding that North Texas has stated in interest in him at quarterback.
What matters to him as recruiting winds down toward National Signing Day on Feb. 5?
"I'm looking to play, first of all," Chumley said.
He added that campus size does not matter and that he'd prefer to play "not too far" away from home.
Chumley's size is what jumps off the page at recruiters. He's approaching 6-foot-6 and said Thursday night that he's up to about 240 pounds.
Chumley, who is Pine Tree's leading scorer and rebounder this basketball season, played in only a few games at the end of PT's 2013 football season, splitting time at receiver and quarterback. He finished with 99 passing yards, one touchdown pass, five rushing touchdowns, and four catches for 80 yards and one score.
As a junior, Chumley started the year at receiver before posting monster numbers in limited action at quarterback at the end of the 2012 campaign. After catching seven passes for 109 yards, he exploded in PT's final three games while playing quarterback. He threw for 832 yards, seven touchdowns, and three interceptions, while rushing for 305 yards and five touchdowns in that span.
Chumley said he may visit ULM on the weekend of Jan. 31. ULM has recruited him as an athlete.
North Texas and ULM are programs that each have three East Texas commitments with less than two weeks left before National Signing Day. North Texas has pledges from Carthage receivers Terian "Tee" Goree and O'Keeron Rutherford, plus Sulphur Springs athlete Willy Ivery. Chumley said he already knows Ivery and Goree.
ULM's East Texas commitments include Palestine tailback Ben Luckett, Palestine offensive lineman Brian Thlang, and Chapel Hill athlete Wesley Thompson.
Elkhart running back Jeffery Wilson also plans to visit North Texas next weekend, according to Elks head coach Sam Wells. Wilson, who ran for 2,329 yards and 29 touchdowns as a junior, led East Texas in rushing in 2013, when he accumulated 2,749 yards and 36 scores.
2014 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Blake Bogenschutz, QB, Carthage, 6-1, 175 -- committed to UTSA (1)
- Jacob Bragg, OL, Nacogdoches, 6-4, 310 -- committed to Kansas; additional offers from Louisiana Tech, Oregon State, ULM (4)
- K.D. Cannon, WR, Mount Pleasant, 6-0, 160 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Arizona, Clemson, Florida State, Houston, Miami, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Purdue, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Utah, Vanderbilt, Virginia, West Virginia (21)
- Caleb Chumley, QB/ATH, Pine Tree, 6-5, 240 -- offers from Houston, Kansas, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Missouri, New Mexico State, North Texas, Oregon State, Texas State (9)
- Joseph Clark, RB/S, Chapel Hill, 5-9, 175 -- committed to Texas Tech; additional offers from Air Force, Navy, Texas State (4)
- Kade Clayton, ATH, Tyler Grace, 6-0, 180 — offers from Navy, Texas State (2)
- Terrell Cuney, C, Jasper, 6-3, 260 — committed to Texas; additional offers from TCU, Texas Tech (3)
- Devondrick Dixon, ATH, Gilmer, 5-9, 170 -- committed to Texas State (1)
- Rashaan Donelson, QB, Liberty-Eylau, 6-0, 187 -- offer from Navy (1)
- Adrian Goodacre, OL, Carthage, 6-4, 318 -- committed to ULL; additional offer from Houston (2)
- Terian "Tee" Goree, WR, Carthage, 6-2, 170 -- committed to North Texas; additional offers from Colorado, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, San Diego State, ULL, ULM, UTSA (9)
- Davion Hall, ATH, Liberty-Eylau, 6-2, 191 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, SMU, Stanford, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- Zaycoven Henderson, DT, Longview, 6-1, 300 — enrolled at Texas A&M; additional offers from Baylor, Florida, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, South Carolina, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, Washington, Washington State (18)
- Travin Howard, S, Longview, 6-0, 178 -- committed to TCU; additional offer from UTSA (2)
- Willy Ivery, ATH, Sulphur Springs, 5-8, 180 -- committed to North Texas; additional offers from Colorado State, New Mexico, Texas State, Toledo (5)
- Taylor Jackson, WR, Texas High -- offer from Navy (1)
- Jamal Jeffery, WR, Lufkin, 5-9, 165 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Chris Jefferson, ATH, Athens, 6-2, 200 -- committed to SMU (1)
- Jawuan Johnson, DB, New Boston, 6-0, 195 -- committed to Northern Illinois (1)
- Dorian Leonard, WR, Longview, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas; offers from Florida State, Oklahoma, Oregon State, San Diego State, Texas Tech (6)
- Reggie Long, LB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 218 -- offers from Air Force, Army, Navy (3)
- Ben Luckett, RB, Palestine, 6-0, 195 -- committed to ULM (1)
- Patrick Mahomes, QB, Whitehouse, 6-3, 203 — committed to Texas Tech; additional offers from Houston, North Texas, Rice (4)
- Stephan Maxey, DB, Longview, 5-11, 185 -- offer from UTSA (1)
- Keith Minor, DL, Chapel Hill, 6-3, 237 -- committed to New Mexico; additional offer from Cincinnati (2)
- Jarrell Owens, LB/DE, Palestine, 6-3, 230 -- committed to TCU; additional offers from Texas State, Texas Tech, ULM (4)
- Greg Roberts, DE, Nacogdoches, 6-5, 200 -- committed to Baylor (1)
- Anthony Rhone, LB, Texas High, 6-0, 210 -- committed to SMU (1)
- O'Keeron Rutherford, WR, Carthage, 6-5, 181 -- committed to North Texas; additional offer from ULM (2)
- Anthony Sanders, ATH, Athens, 5-11, 185 -- offer from ULM (1)
- Kevin Shorter, RB/S, Newton, 6-0, 190 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Arkansas, Army, Baylor, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Houston, Kansas, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, San Diego State, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, ULM, Utah (22)
- Brian Thlang, OL, Palestine, 6-2, 290 -- committed ULM (1)
- Wesley Thompson, ATH, Chapel Hill, 6-1, 185 -- committed to ULM (1)
- Josh Walker, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-1, 220 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (4)
- Tre Walker, RB, Texas High, 5-10, 175 -- offer from Navy (1)
- D.J. Williams, DT, Lufkin, 6-4, 293 -- committed to Kansas; additional offers from Houston, Miami, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma (6)
- Jeffery Wilson, RB, Elkhart, 6-0, 190 -- offers from New Mexico State, North Texas, Texas State, ULM (4)