PREVIEW: Harmony + Winona Meet in Pivotal District Game
DISTRICT 10-3A Division II
Harmony Eagles (4-1, 2-0)
Winona Wildcats (4-1, 2-0)
7:30 p.m. Friday
Wildcat Stadium, Winona
- Harmony: Tim Russell
- Winona: Keylon Kincade
- Harmony: def. Troup, 36-14
- Winona: def. Alba-Golden, 25-23
- Harmony: vs. Quitman, Oct. 19
- Winona: vs. Arp, Oct. 19
Players to watch
- RB Barrett Hill, Sr., 5-9, 190 (90 carries, 766 yards, 9 TDs)
- LB Easton Blackstone, Sr., 6-2, 205 (54 tackles, 6 for loss, 1 sack, 5 QB pressures, 2 INTs, 1 PBU, 1 forced fumble, 1 defensive TD)
- WR Hunter McNeel, Jr., 6-0, 170 (3 catches, 122 yards, 3 TDs)
- FB Marcus Davis, Sr., 6-0, 165 (32 carries, 231 yards, 2 TDs)
- FB Brody Powledge, Sr., 5-5, 150 (41 carries, 323 yards)
- RB/LB Isaac Edwards, Jr., 6-1, 200 (39 carries, 306 yards, 3 TDs; 18 tackles, 5 for loss 2 sacks, 5 QB pressures, 1 PBU)
- QB Gage Goddard, Sr., 5-11, 160 (13-of-27, 322 yards, 6 TDs, 2 INTs)
- LB Drew McNeel, Sr., 5-10, 173 (49 tackles, 4 for loss, 3 INTs, `2 PBUs)
- LB Leonardo Arellano, Sr., 5-8, 160 (29 tackles, 3 for loss, 2 sacks, 5 QB pressures, 1 PBU, 1 INT)
- DB Cameron Helpenstill, Sr., 5-10, 145 (30 tackles, 2 for loss, 1 PBU, 2 fumble recoveries)
- B/ATH Dakota Pullum, Sr., 6-1, 190
- RB Quindarius Johnson, Jr., 5-7, 155
- ATH KJ Kincade, Sr., 5-10, 180
- WR/CB Arimon Ford, Soph., 5-7, 150
- WR/CB Ashton Smith, Jr., 5-11, 160
- MLB Peyton Snow, Soph.
- LG/NT Brandon Henson, Sr., 5-8, 300
- WR/DB Clifford Brown, Sr., 6-0, 170
Just the facts
- Harmony holds a 16-2 lead in the series since 1990.
- The Eagles are averaging 453.2 yards per game (388.8 rushing and 64.4 passing).
- Harmony running back Barrett Hill is averaging 8.5 yards per carry.
- Harmony finished the regular season undefeated for the first time in program history in 2017.
- Winona is averaging 29.4 points per game and giving up 19.4.
- The Wildcats' opponents to date have a combined record of 7-20.
- Winona is one win away from surpassing its total from last season.
Key matchup: Harmony rushing attack against the Winona front. Harmony is one of several small schools that have a singular offensive mindset. The Eagles prefer to gain yardage through power running, headlined by Barrett Hill. Hill is the Eagles' leading rusher and isn't afraid to absorb contact. He along with backs Marcus Davis and Brody Powledge give Harmony a formidable backfield rotation that is averaging more than 350 yards per game on the ground.
Winona will look to try to slow that attack with help from Brandon Henson and Peyton Snow. However, the Wildcats likely haven't seen a team as successful with this strategy as Harmony this season. If the Eagles can make Friday business as usual, they will have no trouble earning a key district victory.
Don't be surprised if: This game is decided by a touchdown. These teams seem extremely even on paper. Winona has playmakers to match Harmony in KJ Kincade and Dakota Pullum. If the Wildcats can get those two going, this contest will likely end up coming down to the final quarter. East Texas football fans in the area should get a treat.