Syracuse Gives Nacogdoches’ Jaylon Lane His 20th Offer
The recruitment of Jaylon Lane hit a milestone Saturday afternoon when the 2015 cornerback picked up his 20th offer. The Syracuse Orange were the latest to enter the Lane sweepstakes, the Dragons playmaker announced on Twitter.
Lane (6-2, 185) now has 12 offers since Monday and is only one behind Gladewater defensive tackle and Texas A&M commit Daylon Mack for the most among East Texas' 2015 recruits.
Louisville offered Lane on Monday before three schools -- Arkansas State, Kentucky and Utah State -- came calling Tuesday. Another four offered on Wednesday when Mississippi State, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame and Oklahoma all made Lane a target.
The flurry continued Thursday when Lane received an LSU offer, and on Friday he picked up offers from both Arizona State and Texas A&M.
Syracuse is the 41st unique offer to a 2015 East Texas recruit. Ironically, only three of Lane's 20 offers have come from programs in Texas. He has offers from 14 different states.
The Orange are members of the ACC, which has five offers out to players in East Texas as a conference. Syracuse finished 7-6 in 2013 and defeated Minnesota 21-17 in last December's Texas Bowl in Houston.
Lane, who took home Defensive Back MVP honors at the Rivals.com in Houston earlier this month, is back in his native Nacogdoches after spending the last two seasons at Central High School in San Angelo. As a junior, he had five interceptions and 46 tackles and averaged almost 46 yards on five kickoff returns, which included a 108-yarder for a touchdown.
The Nacogdoches secondary could be among the best in all of East Texas this fall. In addition to Lane, the Dragons also have 2016 safety Brandon Jones, who has 10 major offers himself and is considered to be among the state's top recruits in his class. Jones had 95 tackles, five interceptions, one defensive touchdown and two special teams returns for scores as a sophomore.
Lane and Jones hold common offers from five programs -- LSU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss and Washington State.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-10, 175 — offer from Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Boise State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Mississippi State, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, South Alabama, Syracuse, Texas A&M, Texas State, Utah State, Washington State (20)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston (2)
- Samuel Miller, TE/DE, Canton, 6-3, 200 -- offer from UTSA (1)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)