Waskom’s Kevin Johnson Receives Offers From SMU + North Texas
National Signing Day came and went three months ago, but that did not stop one Class of 2015 athlete from continuing to receive major college attention.
Waskom's Kevin Johnson, who starred on both sides of the ball during the Wildcats' state championship run in 2014, signed with Tyler Junior College in early February. But after a final round of testing netted qualification status, Johnson is now back in play for FBS programs.
And on Tuesday, both SMU and North Texas extended offers to Johnson (5-10, 170), Waskom head coach Whitney Keeling told ETSN.fm.
Johnson became the 34th East Texas recruit in the 2015 class to receive Division I FBS offers. He'll have to make a decision soon, as high school graduation looms in about one month's time.
SMU, under first-year coach Chad Morris, has hit the ground running in recruiting since his hire back in December. Morris, the former Tulsa and Clemson offensive coordinator, assembled a staff that includes a couple of ex-Texas high school football coaches.
Morris, a native of Eustace, got his start in coaching in East Texas, having coached his alma mater before making a stop at Elysian Fields. He also enjoyed success at Bay City, Stephenville and Lake Travis, where he won a couple of state championships.
The SMU program is in the midst of change, following the in-season resignation of coach June Jones. The Mustangs finished 1-11 a season ago, SMU's worst campaign since 2008.
North Texas is coached by Dan McCarney, who has led the Mean Green since 2011. The Mean Green, who signed three East Texans in February, finished 4-8 overall and 2-6 in Conference USA play in 2014.
UNT qualified for a bowl game the season before for the first time since 2004.
Johnson will leave Waskom as one of the most accomplished players in program history. A four-year varsity member, Johnson is the school's all-time leading rusher with 5,426 yards and 75 touchdowns.
As a senior, Johnson led the Wildcats with 1,985 yards and 21 touchdowns. On defense, he recorded 152 tackles with two sacks, four forced fumbles, two recoveries, an interception, and one defensive touchdown.
Eleven months ago, Johnson was a standout at the second ETSN.fm + APEC Football Recruiting Combine in Tyler. He ran a laser-timed 4.42 40-yard dash, had vertical jump of 36.9 inches and recorded a broad jump of 127 inches.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Jarion Anderson, WR, Texas High, 5-11, 165 – signed with Tulsa (1)
- Rodney Bendy, WR, John Tyler, 6-4, 180 – signed with North Texas; additional offer from ULM (2)
- William Brown, DL, Texas High, 6-3, 259 – offers from Arkansas State, Texas State (2)
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — signed with Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (14)
- Chaston Brooks, ATH, Tatum, 6-0, 183 – offer from New Mexico State (1)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — signed with North Texas; additional offer from Louisiana Tech (2)
- Nick Cain, ATH, John Tyler, 5-10, 165 — offer ULM (1)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — signed with Texas Tech; additional offers from Louisville, Oklahoma, Texas, Tulsa (5)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — signed with Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 230 – signed with Louisiana Tech (1)
- Chandler Eiland, QB, Canton, 6-0, 178 – signed with ULM (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-3, 175 — signed with Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – signed with TCU; additional offers from North Texas, Northern Illinois, Rice, Texas State, Tulsa, UTSA (7)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — signed with Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- Tyrone Hunt, DE, Arp, 6-4, 230 – signed with Baylor; additional offer from UTSA (2)
- Kevin Johnson, ATH, Waskom, 5-10, 170 -- offers from North Texas, SMU (2)
- Marcalas Johnson, Arp, 5-10, 181 – offer from Colorado State (1)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 6-0, 177 — signed with Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Alabama, Syracuse, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, UCLA, ULL, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (38)
- Blake Lynch, ATH, Gilmer, 6-3, 193 — signed with Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 330 – signed with Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — signed with Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — signed with Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Kansas, New Mexico State, North Texas, Oklahoma State, ULL (8)
- Samuel Miller, DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – signed with ULM; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Kansas State, Memphis, Nevada, North Texas, Oregon State, Texas State, UTEP, UTSA (11)
- Chett Munden, OL, Marshall, 6-6, 303 — signed with North Texas; additional offer from ULM (2)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — signed with Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Jassavia Reese, DE, John Tyler, 6-4, 227 – signed with New Mexico State (1)
- Kyshaun Smith, S/LB, Tatum, 6-2, 178 — offers from Houston, Memphis, North Texas, Texas State (4)
- Chris Spikes, WR, Jasper, 6-3, 175 — offer from Houston (1)
- Javon Thomas, RB, Texas High, 6-3, 211 – signed with Tulsa; additional offers from Navy, New Mexico, Rice, Toledo, ULM (6)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – signed with Rice (1)
- Isaac Warren, CB/S, John Tyler, 6-1, 189 — offers from Arizona State, New Mexico State, Purdue, SMU, UTEP (5)
- Broderick Washington, OL/DL, Longview, 6-3, 285 — signed with Texas Tech; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico, North Texas, ULL, UTSA (8)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-6, 274 — offer from SMU (1)