Newton’s Corbin Foster Is The ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Defensive Player Of The Week
Newton fell into real trouble for the first time all season in last week's Class 3A Division II, Region III semifinal playoff game against Elysian Fields.
The Eagles had to dig out of an early 14-0 hole and, to do that, their defense needed to get off the mat and make more than a handful of stops against one of the region's most explosive offenses.
Fortunately, Newton had junior middle linebacker Corbin Foster to help spur the team's defense back into the game and then through the previously unbeaten Yellowjackets. Foster is the ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Defensive Player of the Week after recording 15 tackles and an interception in what turned into a 30-20 win for the Eagles.
Foster, who leads active players in the area with 183 total tackles, helped put away an offense with East Texas' second-leading receiver and third-leading passer. Four of Foster's 15 tackles were for loss and a fifth was a sack.
Another challenge is coming Newton's way Friday. An Arp team headlined by SMU running back commitment Kayce Medlock will make its bid for the Region III championship trophy and a ticket into the state semifinal round of competition.
Foster and the rest of the Eagles' defense will be tested all across the field. Arp is less of a liability to throw the ball as often and as far as Elysian Fields, but it does have some big play potential through the air in addition a stable of very shifty running backs beyond Medlock.
Whichever team gets out of Region III to represent East Texas against the rest of the state will have to earn it.
ETSN.fm/Dairy Queen Defensive Players of the Week
- Week 14 (Nov. 24-Nov. 26) -- Corbin Foster, LB, Newton
- Week 13 (Nov. 17-Nov. 19) -- Cody Foshee, DB, Tenaha
- Week 12 (Nov. 10-Nov. 12) -- Tanner Murphy, LB, Jefferson
- Week 11 (Nov. 3-Nov. 5) -- Jeremy Kelly, LB, Gilmer
- Week 10 (Oct. 27-Oct. 29) -- Cooper Bledsoe, DB, Van
- Week 9 (Oct. 20-Oct. 22) -- Sloan Rodberg, LB, Wills Point
- Week 8 (Oct. 13-Oct. 15) -- Paul Bonamy, DB, Pine Tree
- Week 7 (Oct. 6-Oct. 8) -- Jeremiah Milton, ATH, Tyler Bishop Gorman
- Week 6 (Sept. 29-Oct. 1) -- Traveion Webster, DB, Longview
- Week 5 (Sept. 22-24) -- Alex Thlang, LB, Elkhart
- Week 4 (Sept. 15-Sept. 17) -- Brandon Cook, DB, White Oak
- Week 3 (Sept. 8-Sept. 10) -- Dekalen Goodson, DL, John Tyler
- Week 2 (Sept. 1-Sept. 3) -- Taylor Smith, DB, Jefferson
- Week 1 (Aug. 25-Aug. 27) -- Keylon Johnson, DE, Waskom