West Rusk’s Tyree Wilson Adds Kansas Offer
Kansas is on a regional roll and will try to keep the magic going with Tyree Wilson.
The Jayhawks program reached out to the junior West Rusk linebacker Monday and is the first Big 12 Conference contender to enter the mix. Wilson, who is verbally committed to Washington State, announced the new development through his Twitter account.
If Wilson (6-5, 225) ever decides to flip his commitment over to Kansas, he would join a signing class that also is expected to feature junior Texas High receiver Tevailance Hunt. Texas High receiver Quan Hampton, a senior, signed with the Jayhawks in February and will become part of the program next month.
All of Kansas' activity comes on the heels of a 2-10 season, which was a two-win improvement compared to the 2015 campaign. Head coach David Beaty accepted a contract extension in December and is now under contract until the end of 2021.
Beaty, a former Dallas area high school coach at the beginning of his career, will have 37 college letter winners from Texas on his 2017 roster as well as five newcomers to start his third season in Lawrence, Kan.
Wilson was a force on West Rusk’s Class 3A Division II bi-district team last season. He made 68 solo tackles, including 13 for loss, and assisted six other tackles in 11 games as part of a linebacking corps that cannibalized each other’s stats.
Senior linebacker Jacob Waller led the team with 136 total tackles.
In addition to 74 total tackles, Wilson forced two fumbles and returned one interception 34 yards for a touchdown.
Wilson also started as a sophomore on West Rusk’s regional championship game team alongside a junior Waller and senior Joe Wright at the other linebacker spots. Wright was the East Texas leader in tackles that season and moved on to Hardin Simmons University after graduation.
Like all college football prospects currently in their junior year of high school, Wilson will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him in February of 2018.
2018 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tre Allison, John Tyler, OLB, 6-0, 200 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, ULL (5)
- Chance Amie, Tyler Lee, QB, 6-3, 190 — offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Central Florida, Colorado State, Georgia State, Houston, Iowa State, North Texas, Rutgers, Southern Miss, Syracuse, Tulane, ULL, Virginia (14)
- Xavier Benson, Pleasant Grove, LB, 6-0, 200 — offers from Arkansas State, Army, North Texas, Southern Miss, Texas State, Tulane, ULL, ULM (8)
- Drake Centers, Tatum, OL, 6-4, 295 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kris Dike, Van, OL, 6-6, 283 — offers from Houston, North Texas, Oklahoma State, SMU (4)
- Dekalen Goodson, John Tyler, DE/OLB, 6-2, 215 — offers from Houston, Mississippi State, Texas State, ULL (4)
- Trae Hall, Henderson, QB/ATH, 6-3, 185 — offer from ULL (1)
- Conner Henson, Harmony, OL, 6-4, 250 — offers from ULL, ULM (2)
- Chasen Hines, Marshall, OL, 6-3, 340 — committed to LSU; additional offers from Arizona, Baylor, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, North Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Rice, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech (16)
- Tevailance Hunt, Texas High, WR, 6-2, 180 — committed to Kansas; additional offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Iowa State, Louisiana Tech, Marshall University, Nevada, North Texas, Southern Miss, Tulsa (10)
- Keaontay Ingram, Carthage, RB, 6-0, 198 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Florida State, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, LSU, Memphis, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Oregon State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, USC, UTSA (27)
- Malik Jackson, Lufkin, WR, 5-8, 165 — offer from Arkansas State (1)
- DeMarvion Overshown, Arp, ATH, 6-4, 196 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Colorado, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, LSU, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, South Carolina, Southern Miss, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, UTSA (30)
- Jonathan Shepherd, Kilgore, WR, 6-3, 196 — offers from Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Kansas State, ULM (4)
- Tyree Wilson, West Rusk, LB, 6-5, 225 — committed to Washington State; additional offers from Kansas, Southern Miss, Texas State, ULL, ULM (6)