West Rusk’s Tyree Wilson Becomes First Local Texas A&M Commitment Since 2016 Cycle
Tyree Wilson is back on the committed list.
Texas A&M won the second round of competition for the senior West Rusk linebacker with Wilson's video announcement Monday. The prospect was previously aligned with Washington State between March and June 2.
The Aggies program hopped into the mix four days after Wilson (6-5, 225) decommitted from Washington State, and it defeated 14 other NCAA Division I FBS schools for the new commitment. Major conference schools aside from Texas A&M and Washington State in the recruiting battle involved included Kansas, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State and TCU.
Wilson was a force on West Rusk’s Class 3A Division II bi-district team last season. He made 68 solo tackles, including 13 for loss, and assisted six other tackles in 11 games as part of a linebacker group that cannibalized each other’s stats.
Senior linebacker Jacob Waller led the team with 136 total tackles.
In addition to 74 total takedowns, Wilson forced two fumbles and returned one interception 34 yards for a touchdown.
Wilson also started as a sophomore on West Rusk’s regional championship game team alongside a junior Waller and senior Joe Wright at the other linebacker spots. Wright was the East Texas leader in tackles that season and moved on to Hardin Simmons University after graduation.
Wilson's commitment probably will snap the Aggies' one-year dry spell in East Texas. However, while no local players signed scholarship offers with the program in the past recruiting cycle, there were 13 East Texans on the 2017 spring roster between scholarship players recruited out of high school, transfers and walk-ons.
Texas A&M is coming off an 8-4 regular season and a loss to Kansas State in the Texas Bowl. It started the 2016 campaign with a 6-0 record, but a road loss at Alabama turned the season on its head. The Aggies' 4-0 start in the Southeastern Conference got downgraded to a 4-4 league mark.
Head coach Kevin Sumlin will be back for a sixth year this season. He will try to snap three straight seasons of 8-5 records.
Sumlin assisted Johnny Manziel to the Heisman Trophy in 2012. He's the second Aggies coach to guide a Heisman winner while serving in College Station.
Bear Bryant achieved the same accomplishment with John David Crow in 1957.
Texas A&M claims three national championships, the latest in 1939, and has produced 30 consensus All-Americans. The program has an all-time winning percentage of .604 through 122 years of competition.
Wilson will become eligible to sign with the Aggies or any other Division I school that offers him in December.
2018 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tre Allison, John Tyler, OLB, 6-2, 211 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Texas State, Tulane, ULL (7)
- Chance Amie, Tyler Lee, QB, 6-3, 190 — offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Georgia State, Houston, Iowa State, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Texas, Rutgers, Southern Miss, Syracuse, Tulane, ULL, Virginia (18)
- Xavier Benson, Pleasant Grove, LB, 6-0, 200 — offers from Arkansas State, Army, Memphis, North Texas, Rice, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane, ULL, ULM, Wyoming (13)
- Drake Centers, Tatum, OL, 6-3, 296 — offers from SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, ULM (4)
- Kylar Cooks, Liberty-Eylau, OL, 6-5, 252 — offers from Arkansas State, North Texas, Texas State, ULL (4)
- Jeremiah Davis, Lufkin, CB, 5-10, 194 — committed to ULL (1)
- Kris Dike, Van, OL, 6-6, 283 — committed to TCU; additional offers from Colorado, Houston, Memphis, North Texas, Oklahoma State, SMU, Tulane (8)
- Dekalen Goodson, John Tyler, DE/OLB, 6-2, 209 — committed to Houston; additional offers from Mississippi State, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL (6)
- Trae Hall, Henderson, QB/ATH, 6-3, 185 — offers from Florida Atlantic, New Mexico State, Tulane, ULL, ULM (5)
- Conner Henson, Harmony, OL, 6-3, 243 — offers from ULL, ULM (2)
- Chasen Hines, Marshall, OL, 6-3, 353 — committed to LSU; additional offers from Arizona, Baylor, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, North Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Rice, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech (16)
- Tevailance Hunt, Texas High, WR, 6-2, 180 — committed to Kansas; additional offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Florida Atlantic, Houston, Iowa State, Louisiana Tech, Marshall, Memphis, Nevada, North Texas, Oklahoma State, Southern Miss, Tulsa (14)
- Dewaylon Ingram, Carthage, WR, 6-0, 160 — offer from Arkansas State (1)
- Keaontay Ingram, Carthage, RB, 6-0, 198 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Florida State, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, LSU, Memphis, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Oregon State, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, USC, UTSA (27)
- Malik Jackson, Lufkin, WR, 5-8, 163 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Texas State (3)
- Kameron King, Marshall, OL, 6-2, 275 — offers from Memphis, North Texas, Tulane, ULM, Southern Miss (5)
- Trevor Lawrence, Whitehouse, DE, 6-4, 245 — offers from Texas State, ULM (2)
- DeMarvion Overshown, Arp, S, 6-4, 196 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Colorado, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, LSU, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, South Carolina, Southern Miss, Stanford, TCU, Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, UTSA (30)
- Leonard Parks, Texas High, DE, 6-5, 230 — offer from ULM (1)
- Michael Sanchez, Gladewater, TE/OL, 6-5, 327 — offer from Houston (1)
- Jonathan Shepherd, Kilgore, WR, 6-3, 196 — committed to Oklahoma State; additional offers from Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Houston, Kansas State, ULM, Missouri, New Mexico, Memphis, North Texas, Oregon State, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech (15)
- Marje Smith, Marshall, DE, 6-6, 210 -- committed to Baylor (1)
- DaRyan Williams, Nacogdoches, 5-10,199 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Tyree Wilson, West Rusk, LB, 6-5, 225 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Mississippi State, New Mexico, Oklahoma State, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL, ULM, Washington State, Wyoming (16)