Wyoming Is Seventh To Offer West Rusk’s Tyree Wilson
Wyoming needs a new East Texan to replace former Pleasant Grove and current Dallas Cowboys linebacker Lucas Wacha.
Maybe linebacker Tyree Wilson is the solution. The Wyoming program presented the rising senior from West Rusk a college football scholarship opportunity Tuesday.
Wilson (6-5, 225), who has been committed to Washington State since March, reported the offer through his personal Twitter account.
West Rusk has developed a strong tradition of linebacker play in recent seasons.
In spite of fierce competition with his teammates at the middle level of the defense, Wilson was able to record 74 total tackles during his junior season. Thirteen tackles went for loss through an 11-game season that ended with a first-round appearance in the Class 3A Division II state playoffs.
Senior linebacker Jacob Waller recorded a team-best 136 tackles, cutting into Wilson's stat line.
Joe Wright, who played at Hardin Simmons last season, led all of East Texas in tackles en route to a 3A Division II regional championship game appearance in 2015. Wilson and Waller were starters on that team as well.
Head coach Craig Bohl seemed to get a handle on the Wyoming job last year in his third season. He guided the Cowboys to a Mountain West championship game appearance as well as a trip to the Poinsettia Bowl as highlights of an 8-6 record.
Bohl inherited a program with an all-time winning percentage below .500 right on the heels of winning a third consecutive NCAA Division I FCS national championship as North Dakota State's leader.
Playing football in Laramie, Wyo., requires a certain toughness. At least initially.
War Memorial Stadium is 7,215 feet above sea level, which means it's tough to catch your breath and that the Cowboys have a very real home field advantage. The venue boasts the highest elevation of any Division I stadium, and it's the second-highest game day facility in all of college football at any level.
Wyoming produced two NFL Draft picks last month. Another five players, including Wacha, were offered contracts by NFL teams after the draft ended.
Wilson, like all college football prospects currently in their junior year of high school, will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him in December.
2018 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tre Allison, John Tyler, OLB, 6-0, 200 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Texas State, Tulane, ULL (7)
- Chance Amie, Tyler Lee, QB, 6-3, 190 — offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Central Florida, Colorado State, Georgia State, Houston, Iowa State, North Texas, Rutgers, Southern Miss, Syracuse, Tulane, ULL, Virginia (14)
- Xavier Benson, Pleasant Grove, LB, 6-0, 200 — offers from Arkansas State, Army, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane, ULL, ULM (10)
- Drake Centers, Tatum, OL, 6-4, 295 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kris Dike, Van, OL, 6-6, 283 — offers from Colorado, Houston, North Texas, Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU (6)
- Dekalen Goodson, John Tyler, DE/OLB, 6-2, 215 — offers from Houston, Mississippi State, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL (6)
- Trae Hall, Henderson, QB/ATH, 6-3, 185 — offer from ULL (1)
- Conner Henson, Harmony, OL, 6-4, 250 — offers from ULL, ULM (2)
- Chasen Hines, Marshall, OL, 6-3, 340 — committed to LSU; additional offers from Arizona, Baylor, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, North Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Rice, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech (16)
- Tevailance Hunt, Texas High, WR, 6-2, 180 — committed to Kansas; additional offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Iowa State, Louisiana Tech, Marshall University, Nevada, North Texas, Southern Miss, Tulsa (10)
- Keaontay Ingram, Carthage, RB, 6-0, 198 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Florida State, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, LSU, Memphis, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Oregon State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, USC, UTSA (27)
- Malik Jackson, Lufkin, WR, 5-8, 165 — offer from Arkansas State (1)
- DeMarvion Overshown, Arp, ATH, 6-4, 196 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Colorado, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, LSU, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, South Carolina, Southern Miss, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, UTSA (30)
- Jonathan Shepherd, Kilgore, WR, 6-3, 196 — offers from Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Kansas State, ULM, New Mexico, Oregon State, TCU (7)
- Tyree Wilson, West Rusk, LB, 6-5, 225 — committed to Washington State; additional offers from Kansas, Southern Miss, Texas State, ULL, ULM, Wyoming (7)