Athens’ Travon Fuller Commits to Texas A&M
East Texas’ first 2016 recruit is off the market, so to speak. Athens defensive back Travon Fuller announced his verbal commitment to Texas A&M on Friday afternoon.
ETSN.fm confirmed Fuller’s decision with Athens head coach Paul Essary.
Fuller (6-0, 160), who was offered by the Aggies back on March 21, is already considered one of the state’s best prospects in the ’16 class. He was selected to the 2014 ETSN.fm Preseason East Texas Football Super Team after an incredible sophomore season.
Used in a variety of roles by Essary, Fuller shined in a multitude of areas in helping lead Athens to the first undefeated regular season in school history.
Fuller finished with an astounding 21 blocked kicks — 17 extra-point attempts and four field goals. He also racked up seven interceptions to go along with 53 tackles and one forced fumble from his cornerback position on defense.
He played receiver in Athens’ Wing-T offense and finished with 413 all-purpose yards and five touchdowns on only 30 touches.
Texas A&M, which is putting together one of the very best recruiting classes in the nation for 2015, now has two pledges from the 2016 class — Fuller and Allen offensive lineman Greg Little, a five-star who many feel is the state’s top overall prospect for next season.
The Aggies have also offered Nacogdoches safety Brandon Jones, who is widely regarded as East Texas’ top overall recruit in 2016.
Athens, which returns 14 starters, will try to duplicate its historic 2013 season this fall, and will compete in the new District 8-4A Division I along with Crandall, Kaufman, Mabank, Van and Wills Point.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Travon Fuller, ATH, Athens, 6-0, 160 – committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Washington State (27)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 275 – offers from Air Force, Navy (2)
- Corey Lane, S, Nacogdoches, 5-11, 185 – offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-4, 185 — offer from North Texas, SMU (2)