Bishop Gorman + Brook Hill Meet For Regular Season Rematch In Quarterfinals
TAPPS Division II
Tyler Bishop Gorman Crusaders (9-2)
Bullard Brook Hill Guard (10-1)
4 p.m. Saturday
Bruce Bradshaw Stadium, New London
- Bishop Gorman: Cody Gipson
- Brook Hill: Bobby Brasher
- Bishop Gorman: defeated Houston Second Baptist, 21-17
- Brook Hill: defeated Houston Northland Christian, 35-34
- Winner plays Dallas Christian-Houston Lutheran South winner, TAPPS Division II semifinal round
- WR Connor Hobbs, Sr., 6-5, 220 (81 catches, 1,251 yards, 9 TDs)
- QB Michael Goodwin, Jr., 5-10, 185 (199 of 237, 2,963 yards, 23 TDs, 5 INTs; 126 carries, 1,000 yards, 12 TDs)
- RB Logan Botello, Sr., 5-7, 160 (103 carries, 824 yards, 7 TDs)
- WR Judah Bell, Soph. (45 catches, 942 yards, 8 TDs)
- QB Grant Hanks, Sr., 6-2, 170 (147 of 247, 2,463 yards, 36 TDs, 10 INTs)
- WR Chase McDermott, Sr., 6-0, 180
- RB/LB Ty Brown, Sr., 6-2, 200
- LB Malik Alley, Sr., 6-2, 220
- LB Alex Hale, Jr., 6-4, 180
- RB/CB Kris McCune, Soph., 6-1, 175
Just the facts
- Saturday's game will be the eighth all-time meeting between Bishop Gorman and Brook Hill as well as the second game the two schools have played against each other this season.
- Brook Hill won the regular season meeting, 38-20.
- The Guard suffered two major injuries during the final weeks of the regular season. Leading receiver Seth Brasher is out for the year with an ACL tear and leading rusher Gabe Lucio was lost to an ankle injury.
- Bishop Gorman was the most productive passing offense in East Texas. Quarterback Michael Goodwin is expected to reach 3,000 passing yards early in Saturday's game and Connor Hobbs is one of two receivers in the region with more than 1,000 yards to their names this season. Fellow Crusaders receiver Judah Bell could break 1,000 yards with a 58-yard game.
- The winner of Saturday's game will take on either Dallas Christian or Houston Lutheran South. A healthier Brook Hill team defeated Dallas Christian while Bishop Gorman lost to Dallas Christian by three points. Lutheran South defeated district mate Tyler Grace Community last week in the first round of the playoffs.
Key matchup: Bishop Gorman's aerial assault versus Brook Hill's defense. The Guard have been playing shorthanded on offense, but their defense is one of the most athletic units in the TAPPS Division II bracket with Ty Brown, Malik Ally, Alex Hale available at the linebacker spots and Kris McCune available for cornerback in addition to starting running back.
With a clear strength at linebacker, Brook Hill is set up for success against Bishop Gorman's running abilities and the Guard should be able to put up a respectable pass rush. The group will have to understand they're going to give up big plays in the passing game. The Crusaders average an East-Texas best 269 yards through the air per game.
If the Guard can get a handle on Goodwin and take away his freedom to run for yardage, they're in good shape to advance to the state semifinals.
Brook Hill has a solid offense of its own despite the losses of Seth Brasher and Gabe Lucio. Chase McDermott has emerged as a fine primary replacement and McCune, a sophomore, played very well in his first two games as a starting running back.
Quarterback Grant Hanks could be a nice in-game rival for Goodwin. Hanks has 2,463 passing yards and 36 touchdowns to 10 interceptions.
Don't be surprised if: Round two between these two games is much closer. Bishop Gorman holds nearly every preparation advantage. For starters, it's difficult for any football team to knock off an opponent twice in one season. The Crusaders have a tape from the Brook Hill game where they created more critical mistakes.
Bishop Gorman is healthier on offense. The team also should have a lot of confidence after taking down the better opponent between the two teams last week. Brook Hill is, more or less, being asked to do the same thing twice.
But the Crusaders are taking on the deepest TAPPS school in the East Texas region from a depth perspective. There just aren't many TAPPS teams that could survive multiple key injuries and advance out to the second round of the playoffs.
Expect a close game Saturday.